• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diamond Brand Dog Feed recalled

gspman

This is a problem with most pet food manufacturers. They put corn, wheat and other unnecessary grains in their food because they are a cheap filler. The company that makes Ol Roy brand dog food for WalMart had a similar problem many years ago. It was due to improperly stored wheat. This resulted in the deaths of many dogs. The only grain in dog food that does your dog any good is rice. The rest is garbage. By products are also disgusting. Animal fat, beef and bone meal and beef tallow all come from rendering plants. Guess where road kill, other people's pets and diseased and dying animals end up? How about cows with mad cow disease? Just some things to think about next time you look at the ingredient list on the dog food bag. Actually, wheat is a known allergen for many dogs. The first 2 ingredients in any dog food should be some kind of specific named meat, not just meat meal. If the first 2 ingredients are not meat, then the majority of the food is made up of grains. Dogs can survive on little meat but they will not thrive.

My 3 year old lab has been on diamond path ever since she was weaned off her mother. I was also concerned about the recall, But confirmed with the bar code that her food was safe. She remains of perfect health, weight and mind. I remember recalls on Tyson chicken and Dole salad in a bag.....I still eat both of those brands.

I just switched from IAMS Larg breed puppy food, to Diamond Performance Formula, and my lab seems to be doing well on the food. Her performance has been good, and her coat looks great, and her weight is where it needs to be. Best of all, other than my dog doing well on her diet, I'm feeding 1/2 the amount I used to, and picking up less in my yard.

I sure wouldn't feed Nutri Source to my dog. If you read the ingredient label you will find 3 mentions of poultry. This means fowl of unknown origin, which could include chicken, geese, turkey, ducks or even buzzard. I emailed the company and asked why they didn't put chicken fat instead of poultry fat in the food and they replied that poultry fat is cheaper. Unfortunately, it is also low in linoleuc acid which is necessary for a good coat. Chicken fat has the highest content of this acid and a high quality dog food will include this fat, not poultry fat or animal fat, also of unknown origin and from a rendering plant.