• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

T8 tiller handle extension

oscar

Question

I am buying an Alumacraft 175 TP with a 90hp tiller and was going to rig it with a T8 Yamaha kicker motor, when I went to look at it at the dealership the kicker motor has a really short handle making it almost impossible to reach from the seat. Also the handle hits the side of the boat when turning in one direction. Is it possible to get a longer handle for that motor and maybe one with a bend in it? If anyone else runs a larger tiller with a kicker motor I would love to know how to get around this problem. Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Yes, there are extensions. I use a tiller extension handle on my kicker motor. You can look in any major fishing retailer. They have the pivoting kind too. Anywhere from $35-$50.

Can you still control the speed with an extension on, or will I have to reach back every time I want to change speed? How about tilt and trim, thats on the tiller handle also? I was kind of wishing that Yamaha made a longer tiller handle, guess not.

Oscar,
I have a tiller handle off of a 1998 P75 hp Yamaha that is longer than the T8 handle. Check with a dealer to see if it will fit or if it can be slightly modified to fit. I can sell it to you for around $95. It's brand new. I converted the motor to a console after I bought it and never used the tiller. Just another idea to try. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

Oscar,

I have the same type of set up you're looking at. I have a TP 175 tiller with a 75 Merc and an 8 hp Evinrude 4 stroke kicker. The handle is really short on that too. I went out and bought the extension with the elbow like you talk about, but to be honest, I don't use it very much. I find myself doing one of 2 things...Either I adjust the speed where I want it and steer with the big motor(using it like a rudder) or I sit on a cushion on the livewell and steer the little motor by hand.
Maybe you'll like the extension handle better. They aren't terribly expensive, and are available most everywhere that has a good marine department. I got mine at Cabela's.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Jon, the dealer said your handle would not fit but thanks for the offer. I was looking on the web for a factory extension and I found a nice one for a Honda but none for Yamaha. Maybe I should have went with a different kicker motor. I just picked the boat up and can't wait to get it on the water. It's got me a little worried, it looks alot bigger in my garage than it did at the dealership.