• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carb problem?help

frabillfisher

Took off the fuel filter on my 75 ski-doo tnt(its the screw in kind on the bottom of the carb)and it was all gummed up..went to fleet they didnt have them so i blew it out and put it back on,going to order a new one from dennis kirk or try napa tommorow...once i put the filter back on when i give it gas all it does is bog out but still idls good what do you think the cause is(the old filter?) confused.gif

frabill-

I don't think its the filter.

I'm assuming you have a Tillotson HD carb on that sled. They are very easy to adjust. I'd start by screwing in the high & low speed screws on the carb until they bottom out and then back them out about a 1-1/2 turns. I think that is a good starting point for the Tillotsons.

Put some new plugs in and try starting and running it again.

When was the last time that you'd run the sled and how did it work?

I've got a bad feeling in my stomach if you haven't run it for awhile. You may have a crankseal problem. One of my SnoJets exhibited very similar symptoms and I couldn't get it figured out with any kind of carb adjustments. It would start and idle fine but when I gave it any gas at all, it would bog down bad and eventually kill.

While you're at it, how's the compression on the cylinders?

Ya its a Tillotson HD carb, i have put probably 5 miles on it already this year and it ran fine untill yesterday when i let it idle for a while and it killed,so wanted to look into it and that led me to the filter...also tonight i had already dinked with the high and low speed screws..tried it and it still bogged down,i have the book and it said to turn them out 1 turn but i did a little more about 1 and a half...?

first thing I would do, is pull the carb off, remove all inserts and screws, remebering where they were at for adjustments. and do a thorough cleaning of all ports. put in some new jets, and you should be good to go.

Put on a new filter after serching for one and finnaly finding it at napa and readjusted the high and low speed settings on the carb and runs like a top, put about 50 miles on and no problems(knock on wood)...thanks for the help and quick response guys grin.gif

I have a 1979 Ski Doo Alpine that was doing the same thing. I went through the carb and found that the membrane that operates the fuel pump was sort of stiff and stuck on one side. I loosened up that membrane and now I get good throttle response. THe interal fuel pump just wasn't pulling enough fuel