• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New bow hunter needs some advise.

jbell1981

I recently recieved a free Jennings Super T II Bow and plan to bow hunt deer for the first time next year. Keep in mind I have never even shot a bow, so I am not familiar with much about them. This bow is pretty old (20+ years would be my guess) and hasn't been used in about 5 years. Its pretty plain jane, it has a cheesy arrow rest and a small metal bar for a sight. Other than that it has no other accessories on it. So, what do I need to get? Being that its old and hasn't been used in a while, would I need to get new strings put on it? They look fine, but I don't know if bow strings have a recommended shelf life or anything. What about arrows & tips? Anything recommended for the hunt and practice? It came with about six practice arrows and six broadtips, but they look pretty beat up, so I probably will just trash them. Any other help or advise would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,

Josh

You just opened up a whole bushel of worms.

I'd say bring it into a shop near you to have it looked at. Being that old, it might have hairline cracks in the limbs or something and that could be very dangerous. I've always heard that if a bow will be stored for long periods of time, it should be unstrung to take the pressure off the limbs. Those older compounds were mainly made out of fiberglass I think. But any good bow shop should be able to help you out, on all your ????

Good luck and enjoy

P.S. You don't need the best of everything to get started. Heck you can get hunting ready packages for under $200 now days.

Jbell, as stated, bring it somewhere to get checked. he limbs may be fine, but the string has to go!.. I wouldnt trust it! From there you have to go with your gut! Buy what you think you want for this bow. Many like to shoot release now days, they can make you more accurate and its easier to pull and hold back the bow without any finger pain.

IF you find that you enjoy it, you may end up buying a better bow.. bot for getting started, bring it in to have it checked, they can also at a proshop teach you alittle on form and get you pointed in the right direction.

I would say the same thing. Bring it in, get it checked and have it set up to your own draw weight and length. This way you are comfortable shooting it. Good luck and welcome to the most rewarding sport on the planet!!!