• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need new prop, Pitch?

Spunky

Question

I have a 35 horse merc that needs a prop, but I don't know what I should get. I hear so much about different pitch and size and it is all greek to me. My old one is a 10 1/2 inch prop, do I want to go bigger? My pitch is 13, do I want more pitch?
Help!!!!!!

------------------
Rip sum Lips

3 answers to this question

If your old prop performed well for you, get the same prop. Here in Colorado I have 3 props. One for front range lakes(elev of 4800- 5600ft), one for high mountain lakes( 8000ft and above), and 1 for when I go out to N.Y. or California on vacations ( sea level to 1000ft). The smaller the pitch, the more rpm's your engine will turn. I use a 13p on the high lakes, a 15p on the front range and a 17 in N.Y. This compensates for the power robbing of the high alt. and thin air. Hope this helps,
Dan

------------------

Mercury has a part of their site dedicated to finding the right prop for your Mercury.

Give it a whirl.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/prop_selector

The only caution I would give is that if you go with the wrong pitch, your motor will not perform well. The dealer installed the wrong prop for me and it lugged and took forever to get on plane. Dropped it one pitch and it works alot better. Be sure to get plenty of advise from the dealer, or go to a prop shop where they are experts. I use a shop across the interstate from the Forest Lake Gander Mountain for my props and they are very knowledgable.