• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? for Matt, regarding fishing line

Fishin Beast

I have read some of your posts on using P-line during winter. How does the line do on the lakes that are sensitive to line? I fish one lake that it matters between catching no fish and being all over fish. I checked it out but it seemed to be larger diameter line than most, so that is why I am asking about it.

And if I used the P-line in one of their lightest # tests, could it still be used for walleyes and handle a northern on it if caught by accident?

In my opinion, P-Line Floroice will excel in lakes where fish are line sensitive. This line is almost invisible in the water and the diameter is not that much different than other lines. It's a copolymer line that has a fluorocarbon, silicon coating, which is designed especially for ice fishing conditions. I use it for everything from pannies to walleye to bass to pike. I've hauled in some pretty big walleye and pike on 4 pound test Floroice. I typically target walleye with 4 or 6 pound test, and yes those will also handle a pike if you play it right and let the rod and drag do most of the work.

If I know I soley targeting pike, I'll rig a rod with 8-10 pound test line. However, I will often times just use a walleye/catfish rig with 6 pound test for pike as well...

All of the hybred lines(copolymers like the Flor-ice) are a tad thicker than pure lines, except for those with a "tough" designation, like Trilene XT.

Matt got me to thinking about going to P-line last year and I tried it on a couple of the pannie reels with 2 pound P-line, not the copolymer. I had been using Vanish on those two rods and left all of my others laced up with the Berkley product.

Since both lines were Fluorocarbons clear thru I was able to toy with which one offered the most and they came up pretty much the same, except the P-line seems a bit softer and will coil a little less when used in the cold (below 20 degrees on ice, not in a shelter). Inside where it is warm they both are gems to use.

If you are fishing water with teethie conkers down there, I'd lean a bit toward the hybred simply because it is tougher per pound test, with actual breaking strength a little higher than listed, as a rule. The pure fluoro products lack the stretch and are not overly forgiving, but they too have a little higher snapping point than what the label says.

To get around the visiblity problem use a clear line. It will chameleon any water you fish it in.

I fish a lake with everything from sunfish to muskies and catfish in it, so one never knows whats going to hit. I still rig up for the pannies and crappies because those are the target fish and simply expect some bite-offs during the season. I use only 2 and 4 pound lines and have iced some significant fish using both. Light lines get lots of fish if patience is applied instead of drag.

Line is relatively cheap, so I'd try several brands and do some serious comparison testing to find which one will suit your needs best.

Hope this helps some too.

Matt,

I just purchased a Medium-Light St croix 28" rod, with a Abu Garcia Cardinal 100U. I figured that should be a decent rod to use mostly for crappies but then have enough strenght for walleyes. Most my walleye lakes are numbers rather than size, atleast on average.

I have 3 other rods setup but they are the 30-35 buck cheap combos, and one is setup with 3# micro ice, and the other 2 are setup with 6# micro ice.

It would be nice to get good line on my new combo which in my eyes it is a nice one but probably not the quality as you may use.

Fishin Beast,

For the rig you have and for what you said you'll be using it for, I'd go with 4 pound test line. You're going to want 4 if you're targeting walleye, yet 4 will also work well on crappies. The 4 pound Floroice should get the job done just fine...