• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Source

Fatty07

Have never hunted late season before (hunted a little muzzleloader in the past). I have had only one good week all year, that was pre-rut when I was able to see alot of deer and able to shoot an 7 point buck. However I still have a doe tag. Problem is I can't find the deer. They seem to be spread out and thin in the area I hunt. The bedding areas I have been targeting seem to be holding no deer after the slug season. (they saw alot of preasure). My question is were should I be looking. There are no crops left in the area and all the fields are plowed over so very little food in the area. I have found some acorns but that has not produced yet. WHat other food sources do I need to be looking for. Deer have many areas to bed in the area I hunt, so I definatly need to find out what they are eating. There is a cow pasture i can hunt. Do you think that would be a good place to start? There is still grass to eat. Hope I don't have to wait for snow to find them, but am getting frustrated as I have not seen a deer in my last 5 outings. HELP!!!!!!

The only two places I've been seeing deer pretty consistently since firearms season are both alfalfa fields. Both pieces of cover they're coming to the fields from are relatively small. One is 20-25 acres of woods, the other is probably around 10 acres of willows. Both pieces were hunted during gun season, but not real hard. They both almost always seem to have deer this time of year. I haven't seen any bucks, at least that I could tell anyway, mostly they were fawns. I've seem them as early as 4:30 in the evenings.