• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crestliner feedback

analyzer

Question

Well, MrBig, I took out my first pile of rocks today. I know you're gonna hit em sooner or later, but does it have to be the second time out.

Someone once told me there's two kinds of concrete. The kind with cracks, and the kind that's gonna crack. Well, I suppose there's two kinds of lower units... the kind with dings and the kind that's gonna get dings.

Boy you shoulda seen that hustler prop...oooooh oooouch. It was kinda funny though. I took er back to the landing to inspect the damage, and there's two other boat owners inspecting there damage as well. If you're ever out to Bald Eagle look out for the rocks in the middle of the north end of the lake.

I AM glad to only have to spend $65-70 on a replacement hustler. The guy next to me with the 175 vmax yamaha, has a f'd up stainless steel one that'll cost him over $350.

For those of you interested, my 1850 sportfish with a 140 suzuki, 325lbs of people, and a 30 gallons of fuel, with a 13 1/4 x 23 pitch. Maxed out at 37mph and 4500ish rpm's. I guess I would have been ditching this prop anyway.

****, when I picked up the boat at Crystal Pierce. I asked what size prop it had, and they said 23. I said wouldn't 19 be better. Three different guys said no, the 23 is right and they wouldn't go under 21. So I reluctantly bought a 21 for a spare. I'll be down there monday picking up a 19.

Trust these guys on FM way before you trust some salesperson.

Incidently, the other guy that toasted his prop, had a 1800 lund fisherman with a 175 vmax. He said he was doing 60+ mph (boat speedometer). I had no idea there would be that much difference between a 140 and a 175.

OH, and he hates his bunk shorelander.

There was this other guy that had a really cool 8 place vertical rod rack that plugged into the seat base. He got it from cabellas for $50. It was pretty neat.

Cya

G.

Oh, yeah. Caught a few dinky crappies.

6 answers to this question

analyzer, if you dont mind, tell me how them props work/improve your performance on your boat.

We have a 185 Tourney Pro Alumacraft with a 140 4 Stroke Johnson. I think it has a 13.5" x 21º aluminum prop. Its RPMs topped out at 5500.
We were talking about getting a Rapture or Vortex with a 19º Pitch.
I was kind of wondering how much of a change that would make?

Thanks

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Don't rely on factory boat speedometers for acurate readings. I've noticed that they can be off as much as 8-10mph. I highly doubt that 1800 Fish. was doing 60+. 50-55 more likely. You would probably be better off with the 19, but try them both to be sure.

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

I'm not the guy to ask. I'm learning as fast as I can, but I'm just a novice boat owner. There's been quite a bit of discussion on this site regarding prop pitch. Just do a search and start reading. If you do ask a question about the appropriate size prop, the experts want to know: RPM's at WOT (wide open throttle) the approximate weight in the boat, type of boat, motor and hp, and how full the tank was. They also ask whether you were going by boat speed or gps. From what I understand, depending on your goal, you should try to find a prop that will give you 6000 rpms (or slightly less) at WOT. The lower the number the more hole shot you will have. Picture trying to start a bike up a hill. Will you have an easier time with 3rd gear or 10th gear. However, you can eventually go faster with 10th gear with less work... so you might keep your rpms down on the high end and save gas with the higher prop. If a little child tried to pedal a ten speed in tenth gear, he/she wouldn't be able to do it at all. I think that's about the scenario my boat is experiencing with the 23, it's just too big. I'll get better hole shot and top speed with a lower pitch (to a point) there's probably some sort of curve in there. I would use caution though. You don't want to over rev your engine, and certainly not before your done with breakin.

Check around on this site, it seems like there are some very knowledgable fellows on here.

Local guide, I'll be gone for a week and won't have the boat out until I get back. When I do, I'll try out the 19 and 21 and post back to you. CP set me up with Hustler props which are easy to switch out. I have heard they give away some horsepower though. If I can't get somewhere in the low to mid 40's, I'll probably try going to an OMC prop. I'll probably stick to aluminum either way.

Thanks cabin boy, I was really questioning his 63 mph claim. I couldn't believe there was that big a difference between a 140 and a 175. And 63 mph is FLYING!!! I don't think I even care to go more than 50. I bought mine for fish AND ski, but I wouldn't want to ski that fast.

Sorry to hear that Analyzer...I feel your pain. I took the boat out for the 1st time on Medicine on Saturday. It ran sweet, and I had no complaints other than some vibration noise from the trolling motor that I'll have to check into. When I got home, I noticed a scratch on the back driver's side which really bummed me out. I didn't dock it on that side so I can't figure out how it got there. After hearing your story, I guess I'm ok with it. I'll just go get the touch-up paint right now.

I couldn't find the procedure for turing off the oil light in my manual after the 10 hour break-in. I saw no reference to a light coming on at all. Maybe our manuals are different? Can you point out what page or what section you saw it when you have a chance. Again, if you want to talk further, maybe try my email of [email protected]. That should work.

On the prop, now I'm back to a 21'. I talked to them on Saturday, and they insisted that a 21' was what they always put on that motor. He couldn't believe that you had a 23'! He claimed that a 19' wouldn't really do any better coming out of the hole, so I swapped it out for a 21'. At least it didn't cost me anything, and hopefully I won't notice it for skiing.

Too bad about the prop damage Analyzer. It has happened to me and many of us at one time. Make sure you have the lower unit inspected by a professional. When you run your rig on rocks, gravel, or sand you can do "hidden damage" to the lower unit. All may appear fine, but seals may be broken and water may have leaked into the lower unit. Good luck!!