• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HANDHELD RADIO'S

DavidB

Question

I am looking for a pair of handheld radio’s that would be used when fishing on open water and ice for the purpose of communication with fishing partners on lakes no larger than Mille Lacs. With all the features available I would appreciate any assistance in identifying the must features and the nice features that I should consider. Of major importance is the distance and clarity of the transmission that they can provide and I would be interested in comments regarding this on specific radio’s. Appreciate your input.

7 answers to this question

I assume that you are looking for a handheld marine radio? One of the most important things to look for on a handheld marine radio would be the watts that it kicks out. If you want to have better range, make sure the radio has a 5 watt feature. If you are buying at a store like cabelas, they have a pair of cobras for about $120. These radios carry only a 1/2-2 watt option. These radios will not transmitt as far a one that had a 5 watt option. As far as the antennas I think they are about the same on most models. Look to spend about 90-120 dollars to purchase one.

David, I definately suggest that you go with the marine radio if you were not already. Hog fisher is correct. Much better distance in the marine radio instead of the Motorola talkabout type. I have the Hummingbird handheld (dont know model, comes in yellow or camo, 5 watts, weather proof, channel scan, about $75.00). Works fine for about 5 plus miles I figured. I like the handheld. A buddy of mine has the boat mounted type and the handheld was every bit as clear as the fixed mount. Plus you dont have to mess with mounting the darn thing in your boat. Just my two cents.

Matt

Chris, When you say recharging batteries do you mean the kind that you buy and recharge to reuse? I was thinking about buying the rechargable batteries because I am also sick and tired of replacing the batteries in radio, gps, headlamp, ect..... all the time. Gets a little spendy. I was wondering if they are worth it? How long they last?

Matt

The humminbird unit that I have uses a rechargeable battery pack. It had no indicator so I carged it after every outing. I am also thinking about buying rechargeables for my other gear. I'll try to post the results.

On lakes I generally get at least a mile of range on FRS channels and more with GMRS channels using standard two way hand helds.

They are nice because many of my buddies have them, they are cheap and small.

I have a marine band on my boat and it has a much greater range.

Hand held Marine bands cost quite a bit, are usually larger, but have much more range than the FRS/GMRS radios. They have more power and it is a line of sight technology. The higher the entenna, the greater the range.