• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do Carp actually do?

Moses2531

I realize that carp are not native so they hurt the environment by out-competing the native species, but other than that (not that it isn't an important issue) do they do direct harm to the native species? I've heard crazy things like they suck up the eggs of crappies and walleyes and mess up their nesting beds reducing their reproduction by alot. Do they have any direct damage like those sort of ideas?

Really depends on the body of water at hand. Yes, carp can be destructive in some environments. In shallower, darker water (eutrophic) lakes, big numbers of carp can speed the eutrophication process. When large schools shuffle through shallow water-- particularly during their early summer spawning period-- bottom debris becomes dislodged, muddying waters, which diminishes light penetration. This rooting activity, coupled with low light penetration in shallow water means little macrophyte weed growth, which can speed erosion and basin siltation.

Too, as carp spawning season often overlaps that of bluegills and largemouth bass, nests can be destroyed via siltation. And carp may even consume "gamefish" eggs while occupying the shallow zones used by bluegills and bass, but not en masse; they don't "hunt" gamefish eggs with intent. At least not in the same sense that bluegills "hunt" for bass eggs or fry.

Conversely, in deeper, clearer waters that consist of harder substrate, carp often do little if any damage to the system. Most of the year in these environments in fact, large numbers of carp suspend out over deeper water where they feed on midge larva and occasionally, minnows.

Really, they often don't actually "out-compete" native species, as carp typically occupy niche that's separate from many native species-- they're always one or some combination of omnivorous, herbivorous, or planktivorous. Most "gamefish" are, of course, predatory.

Another point about reduced spawning areas for panfish-- sometimes this can be a positive. Reduced spawning sites means reduced competition among young-of-the-year bluegills, which means higher growth rates, and larger bluegills. Sometimes, we need to remember, the effects non-native species have on fisheries can be positive, at least from a fisherman's perspective. Take zebra mussels in the Great Lakes, for example. Or some would agrue that Eurasian milfoil has improved bass fisheries.

While few of us desire the introduction of these species, the fact is, they've been a reality for a couple hundred years now, and it's not just our waters that harbor them. Our woods (and gardens) are full of non-native/invasives. So I guess we live with the negatives, try to limit them, and extol the positives, like the brutish pulling power of a gargantuan carp. smile.gif

-a friend called Toad

Hey thanks alot, it really changed my outlook on these fish... Its nice to know what really happens instead of just rumors and such, I totally agree with a reduction in sunfish nests can help, just so many lakes with a stunted populations...

Welcome aboard Mr. T.! Your first post in the Carp forum. You must have some intrest in this game.

Tyler Holm has a really good handle on carp fishing. Feel free to ask any questions you like. I'm sure Toad and Roughfisher can answer just about anything too. They know a lot! Everything from hair rigs to what size hook and weights to use.

Once again, glad to have you join in!

I am glad to be here--I have fished for about anything and as I have gotten to the ripe old age of 45 I realised carp put up THE best fight day in day out--got into it about 2 years ago--and joined a carp group--its a blast

from time to time I get up to the Milacs area and have been told it rocks for big carp laugh.gif

I have seen some absolute MONSTERS in Milacs. These carp had to be pushing 40. I saw them between wigwam bay and St Albans bay on the West side of the lake South of Garrison. There are a couple creeks that empty into the lake and we saw big pods of carp just hanging in the current as it dumps into the lake. They are VERY spooky. I actually caught the biggest Smallie of my life in the same location from shore. By the way, welcome aboard and please share some carp tactics if you have success this ice season...