• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carb ?'s

heiman507

Hey, i got a '97 Polaris XC 600 triple. I live in Minnesota. I just brought it in the shop and started tuning it for this winter. Now i'm more of a twin man, but great deal on the sled so i figured i'd give a triple a try.

Alright, to the problem. I took the carbs off to clean and noticed that the main jets were different sizes. Carb closest to clutch had a 280, the center and recoil side were 270. Talked to a few people, but there are twin fans as well, and thought maybe the 280 was supposed to be in the center. I know i didn't mix them up, maybe the previous owner, who knows. Wondering if anybody knows could help me out?

Also, last winter it just seemed like it didn't have the top speed and get up and go i've always heard about these triples. Any adjustments on the carbs to tune them perfect? How many twists are the carbs screws supposed to be out? Any ideas on trying to get more performance without breaking the bank, especially snow is getting rare in central MN, i don't want to stick a too much money in it.

Alright, Thanks for all input.

Charlie

[email protected]

Typically the jet on the PTO (clutch) side of the motor is one size bigger. This is because the cylinder on that side tends to get hotter than the others. The bigger jet compensates for that by giving that cyl a little more fuel. As far as the initial screw adjustment, one and three quarters or so is a good place to start. Another thing that is real important with any sled is that the carburetors are syncronized properly. This meaning that they all open at exactly the same time and the same amount. If you don't do this, one cylinder is "doing the work" and the others are just "going for the ride." There are "sync gauges" available for this and doing it really does help both performance and even mileage.

You didn't say what model you have so its hard to say what the top speed should be, but if the motor is getting up to the right RPM and the sled is still not going as fast as it should, the problem is usually with clutching. Maybe a drive or driven clutch that is binding or not working freely. A good cleaning and lubrication (in the right places) should help. Also check the chaincase lube and gears. Other things that can affect speed are drag from a track that is too tight, a brake that is hanging up or even idler bearings that are going bad. As long as you have the time before the snow falls, go over everything and do all the checking and adjusting now rather than on the trail. You'll be glad you did.

thanks for the input. I just got the carbs back on and had to do a bunch of repairs the the steering, (last time the little bro dirves my sled, he isn't good at avoiding trees.) I'll have to borrow a friends syncro tool and get that thing ready for this winter. Let u know how it all turns out.

Charlie