• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cabelas quiet blind heater/cooker?

Gus

Last night at cabelas I was checking out the selection of heaters for the ice season. They have a heater called the quiet blind heater/cooker that is a cross between the buddy heater and the mr. heater/cooker. It uses the same heating element style as the buddy but it uses the frame like the standard mr. heater cooker. It seemed very heavy duty.

Does anyone have one of these? How do you compare it to the Mr. Heater brand heater/cooker?

It appears that it only has one heat setting. 11,000 btu's. I'd like to confirm this with anyone that has one. Are you able or unable to turn the heat down? There is a valve to turn the gas on, but I was not sure if you could control how much gas flows from this as well.

I'm looking for a heater for my fishtrap pro and I'm afraid the 11,000 btu setting would smoke me out most of the time. While I'm also a little afraid of the buddy heater breaking or not staying lit. They seem a bit more fragile than the quiet blind.

Thanks for any input.

It looks to me like it has only one heat setting. 9,000 btu's was just enought to keep a two man clam toasty on the cold days and not quite enough for the really cold days. It looks like it doesn't have a low oxygen shut off like the buddy heaters and would be less likely to blow out.

Don't be affraid of the buddy or big buddy blowing out. I have a buddy heater that I used for two years and it was never an issue. I also used the big buddy last year with no problems also.

I think the idea is to use this heater in a more open setting, thus the lack of the low oxygen sensor and the one 11,000 btu setting.

I like the idea of having a radiant heater/cooker. less noise and less smell, and I think they keep you warmer. I would bet if this heater does well you will see more options available.

I now that Napoleon Dynamite and Zap Branigan use the big buddy in there fish trap and like it alot! Three heat settings to keep you comfortable and a fan to keep the warm air circulating.

Personally I won't go back to a sunflower type heater. I enjoy the options and bennifets of my buddy and big buddy to much.

The Buddy heater is also an option I'm looking at. Last year I got a Big buddy and it worked great for me until this fall. (Lets just say I think I know why there is a recall) Anyway, one problem with my big buddy was it's just too big for my Fishtrap Pro. In my other houses it's fine.

So I'm still on the prowl for what to use in the fishtrap pro. Thanks for the input. I may end up getting the buddy because it's a little smaller footprint and also the variable heat setting. But I'd like to consider this product if it allows you to vary the heat setting.

Ice is coming...right after deer hunting!

I used the Cabela's Quiet Blind heater last year in my Otter Lodge. It is not adjustable. It is quiet--as the name implies. I used it mainly for cooking on and supplemental heat. My main heat is the Buddy. With 2 settings it is a good investment over the Quiet Blind. But I still like Quiet Blind for what it is and works well for me as extra heat on those super cold days.