• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well with fall well under way, I thought I would give everyone a little update on what has been happening around these parts...

With the heavy rains we received two weeks ago, the bay got pretty murky from all the run-off. And with our classic fall winds, the sediment in the water keeps getting churned, making the bay's water still very stained. From yesterday's excursion, I found the water to be as such from the head of the bay all the way down around the Sioux and Onion River, with the water less stained the farther north you go. Water temps were consistant at 55 degrees where ever I went yesterday.

But, even with the stained water conditions, people are still catching fish. Coho's, browns, and some younger kings can be found in shallower water near stream mouths and out over deep water near these streams. I haven't heard much about stream fishing itself since those last big rains, but the streams and creeks have been back to normal where I am sure there are still some fish to be caught in them!! Small spoons on long leads off your riggers and stick baits have been producing fish.

Bass fishing has been good to excellent... Fish seem to be coming off structure in the bay. Rock, wood, shoreline, and available weeds are producing fish. And a lot of fish this time of year, will be roaming off in deeper water adjacent to certain structure and as some fish will be suspended... A lot of different presentations have been working as these fish have been hungry!!

Walleyes will be found in some of the same place these bass are and will have the feed bag on. Trolling and covering water is the name of the game for fall 'eye fishing out here. Troll big stick baits along and up over structure to pick off the active fish.. Night trolling is a good tactic this time of year. Concentrait on depths of 10 to 20 FT during the day and then up on the strucuture during low light conditions.

Pike are starting to come up out of their deeper summer haunts, pushing into shallower water. Look for remaining weed growth to hold a good number of these critters. Troll or toss big spoons, jerk baits, big jig and plastics, and swimbaits to get these guys to eat!!

For those hunters... not much for grouse numbers, but as soon as more leaves fall, hunting should get a bit better.

Some decent deer have been arrowed and the bucks are starting to scrape a bit. This is the time of year a guy should to some run and gun scouting, checking areas known to hold trophy deer to see if a rutting pattern can be found. These big boys will really be getting geared up here in the next few weeks. End of October and first two weeks of November are key times in this area!!!

Ducks... started out good... then it peeterd off.. but yesterday on the water, I seen tons of ducks making their way into the bay. A lot of buffleheads!!! Also heard a lot of shooting down in the Kakagon slough area, so this weekend could be good for a duck hunter here on the bay!!

Good luck if you make it out!!