• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tall tales

I was out in the stand last friday night. I have two little bucks feeding about 20 yards from my stand, and I see 3 does coming down a trail towards the bucks. I had told myself that i was going to fill my doe tag when I got the chance, so I draw back and the first doe stops, straight broadside at 20 yards. I put the pin on her and pull the trigger. I watch the arrow go straight through her boiler room and off she goes. The bucks and other does have no idea of what just happened continue feeding, while two other does join them. I let the arrow go at 6:50 pm. At 7:30pm Ive got 6 deer feeding all around me, so I decide to make a little commotion to get them to leave and they do. I get down and go to where I shot the doe. I dont see any blood, but do find my arrow stuck in the ground. The arrow looks good, lots of blood. I walk in the direction that she ran, looking for blood with my little pocket flashlight, but cant find any. I decide to go back to the pickup and get my spot light, upon returning I still cant find any blood and now my spot light is going dead. Head back to the pickup, drive to town and pickup a buddy of mine, I like to call him blood hound sanders. We load up with lanterns and flashlights and head back out. It must be 9:30 pm by now. On the way out to my hunting area, a coyote runs out in front of the pickup, and I comment to the bloodhound that I had never seen a coyote out this way, but have heard them from time to time. He starts ratteling off stories about coyotes when he lived in Wisconsin and telling me how viscious they are when packed up. So anyway, we finally get back to where I shot the doe and find a very good blood trail about 30 yards from where I hit her. Lots of good red blood, pools of it, and then nothing. find more blood about 30 yards from there and then nothing again. All of the sudden I hear coyotes howling, and I say, hey blood hound did you hear that, so we both just hold still and they start up again. Right on the edge of the woods which is bordered by CRP land. It sounds like a pack of coyotes right on the outside of the woods. Blood hound yells to me "I'm outta here" and proceeds to run through the black woods towards my pickup. I did the only sensible thing that a guy could do and proceeded to run after him. As were running it sounds like these coyotes are gettig closer to us. Old Bloodhound start yelling as we get closer to the pickup HEY, HEY, HEY he yells. As we get settled into the pickup he looks at me and says, Im not going back out there tonight! So that was the end of the evening. Saturday morning I get back out to the area around 8 am and spend the next 3 hours looking for blood, sign, the deer and find nothing. Do you think the coyotes ate my deer?