• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

training question

jerk bait

I have a 4 yr old springer. He is a great hunting dog and family dog also. He has been the easiest dog to train I've ever owned. He has only one problem. He constantly wants to play fetch. He will go into the woods, grab a stick and plop it down in front of people waiting very intensly for them to throw it. He will not quit.He just sits there and stares the person down waiting to play. It gets very annoying after while. Is there any way to break him of this without taking his eagerness to hunt? I have seen other dogs do this but not to this extent it's constant.

That would be one of the better problems to have. Kind of like having to much money grin.gif

I would fix this problem grin.gif by teaching the dog to heal. When he starts to do this just put him at heel. You do not want to discourage the retrieving behavior one bit.

You can also use the retrieving drive that he has as praise. Use it as a tool to your advantage.

Sorry I can't help you I've got a 4 1/2 year old lab/springer mix and he is the same way. We have to toss his ball/toy out the back door to get him to stop and even then he's on the hunt for another one. He has about a half dozen or so around the house. Sometimes he can see it but he can't get to it and that really drives him nuts. We play fetch with him everyday but sometimes it's annoying when your just trying to watch tv. I've even tried playing fetch with him until he starts taking his own breaks because his getting tired, but 20 minutes of rest and he's right back at it.

Thats a springer for ya.

I have tried heel,sit,no,stop it and whatever else comes to mind. Like I said he is very easy to train but he can't get past this. I think it's "i'm hunting for myself" thing for the dog. I can throw some thing for hours and he doesn't give up. I know that drive is what makes him a great hunting dog.The vet said he shows traits of being the alpha male. He is not aggresive at all but he likes to show his dominence to people by sitting on their feet etc. I don't know if this is part of that behavior or what. Because of the intensity he shows when he's waiting to get something thrown it makes me wonder.

My springer is the same way. I don't know how to stop it. I guess it's never bothered me too much and I usually just take him out to play for a couple of minutes and he doesn't bug you as much after that. Mine usually is on the hunt in the woods though, not bringing me a stick to play with. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with hunting too much for you. That would be hard to figure out how to deal with. Mine is turning 11 in January so don't expect that desire to end with age. Sorry

jerkbait,

I don't know if this will help but it has worked for me and my 18 mos old black lab.

At our house we only fetch certain things like retrieving dummies and the ocasional tennis ball or a frisbe but we never let them stay out in the yard when we are done playing Breezer, my dog, has to give it back and it goes up on the shelf. He has one of those rubber hydrant toys that he brings with him alsmot everwhere he goes but we do not throw it and I have worked hard with the rest of the family and friends to let them know that we do not throw his toy's. If they want to have him retrieve for them they can go get a bumper and when they are done they have to put it away.

I also have him go get his toy and bring it with him if he leaves it laying around. It gives him something to hold, carry and chew on, but we don't throw it.

For what it's worth...

Sounds like excellent advice wrshog.

I've seen dogs like this where it actually becomes a pain in the neck the way they won't leave you alone with wanting to have you throw something. I think you've got a good approach to try.

ccarlson