• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent Plots....Fake Scrapes....Whatca Doing???

OK you caught me! grin.gif

well as far as my favorite scent goes we covered that last year pretty thourghly and I think the moderators would like me not to go there again tongue.gif

This year I have been just focusing on the oak ridges. the white acorns this year are PLENTYFUL at worst! shocked.gif I get scared walking into my stand in the morning, I feel like I am going to roll my ankle wink.gif

I have also only been keying in on days were the temps drop below 40, they seem to be moving later into the morning and earlier the night before. this week should be great with a big front coming through keeping them down for most of the day-day and a half then clearing off and being COLD thursday morning.

It also appears that the bucks are well on there way of seperating up from their bachlor groups. Sept 23 I had 4 different bucks in on me at the same time all together and last night I saw the 2 littlest ones by them selfs and no sign of the 2 bigger ones. (no they didn't get wacked, I saw them on my camera, they are starting to become more nocturnal)

Also take into consideration that this year should be a late rut, the second full moon after the equinox is Nov 16th

What does that mean??

We should have a great pre-rut with bucks just itching to get their job done. Let put it this way I am buring my 2 weeks of vacation in one big chunk this year.

I am an aggressive hunter, I will have 3 different mock scrapes going and start banging the horns together around the 3rd week of Oct.

thats just me though, to each their own

Good to hear from you Mud, you might consider banging the horns a little sooner, I agree with your rut date perdiction, but this AM I sat in an area where I'd seen a 130 class 9pointer,3 times, I saw him today and his left side once 5 nice pt's is now a 3inch stub! shocked.gif

I let him walk........

I have seen just about everywhere magazines etc.. that the predicted rut for our area is around nov 16 but with this cold weather and if it stays around wont that speed up the process or are deer on a more specific time clock than what i am thinking??

fishin, The way I look at it, and I think Mud may be on the same page, some years the rut is early (last year) and some years its late. Understanding photoperiodism (longer days, shorter nights)and tracking lunar patterns you can see a trend in the rut being set,sychronized and triggered. Lots of fun and study smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif