• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moving ladder stand

chucker34

I was planning on moving my ladder stand to a new location this weekend so I can hunt from it next weekend. How soon after you move a stand like that do you think it takes for a deer to get used to it? Or does it matter? Could you start hunting the next day? I mean you could, but do you think the deer would be spooked?

You'll get tons of responses from every side of the earth. I can tell you that I have shot deer out of permanant/semi-permanant stands that were built the day before the season opened. Actually we built 6 new stands that day and took 4 bucks that weekend. All shots were 50 yards or less. While we normally try to do all of the building/moving weeks ahead of time that year things did not work out and we were forced to do it the day before the season. We did not suffer any ill concequences because of it. I say if you are waiting a week you have absolutly nothing to worry about. Good luck.

Sometimes the best hunting can be as soon as you put the stand up, especially if you can get it in the tree without making much noise or disturbing the area too much. Climbers and hanging portables are excellent for that - get it quick and quiet, hunt it right away.

I'd move it when you can and just try to be quiet and not mess up the area any more than you have to, then hunt it when you can.