• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp David Lodge --Edgeley

Im going on a trip with co-workers to Camp David Lodge near Edgeley. I was just wondering what kind of pheasant numbers are in the area. And if anyone has any experiences with Camp David Lodge. I know in the past when I went to school in Moorhead there was a fair number of birds in the Forman area. Any info would be appreciated. Adam

LOW, thanks for the info, we have decided to do the trip the 1st week of december so hopefully the weather cooperates it mat turn into an ice fishing trip instead. Adam

I think you are right about only wild birds. However, last fall the crops went down so late that I had heard some of these lodges put out the tame ones to supplement the hunt until the crops went down. Just talked to a farmer out that way and they have never seen so many birds as this year. If you are going later in the fall, wild birds should be very plentiful. The crops are coming down and should be way ahead of last year.

Low

I've heard nothing but good comments from those that stay at Camp David. I have some family members that are HUGE bird hunters and make it out that way each year. They know Dave and have said good things about him (as a person) and his outfit he runs. Hunting has been so-so the last few years because of the crops in the fields.

I was invited to attend the hunt this year (Oct. 19-23) and very excited to hear that the crops are down and farmers are seeing more birds than last year. I just hope the corn keeps coming down in the next week!

Gentlemen,

Just got back Monday from an unbelieveable hunt in the Edgeley Area. Lots of birds but lots of crops up still. The beans are coming down quickly but the corn is going to be up for a while (especially after the rain this week). There are ducks all over the place and most of them are local ducks. I think the hunting will be the best after deer season when the crops get down and the hunting pressure is a lot less! Have a great season!

LOW LOVER

I cant wait to get out that way. I have decided to do a duck and pheasant trip on public land around the area nov. 11-17 then staying at camp david dec.12-15 for some pheasant hunting. I used to hunt in the Forman area and there was lots of birds. Adam

LOW- Glad to hear you had a good hunt out there. I'm looking forward to heading out to ND for the 1st time EVER next week.

Thanks for reporting the crop report. I was wondering how last weeks rain affected everything out there. I just hope were we hunt (couldn't even point on a map for you) birds are holding in those areas. I also hope there isn't gale force winds either!!!

Guys,

Make sure you pick up a Plots Guide to the public areas. If you have a little bit of extra time head up towards Gackle. There are a ton of Plots in that area with water in them and ducks. I will be back up in that area this week as well, MEA. My boys are so pumped to get on the ducks. My oldest is actually going to re-date his pheasant week and just hunt ducks.

Go Get em!!

LOW

Just got back from an extended weekend out in the Edgeley area.

My group hunted for 3 days and the three of us got 18 birds- a mix of grouse and pheasants! First time I ever shot a pheasant and I shot 4 of them on the trip. Had the best time ever!!

Lots of corn still in the fields, but some farmers were starting to take crops out. The one field I saw being harvested and hunters were posting it. What a sight to see all those birds come out of the corn. From the sounds of it, I thought they were duck hunting!!

Like LOW said eariler, the hunting is only going to get better once that corn comes out! When that happens, stick to the CRP!!

Just returned as well from a long weekend around Edgley. We saw a lot of birds, harvested quite a few, and had a great time. The corn is starting to come down but will be a couple weeks before it really gets good. One area of CRP (400 acres) that we hunted had picked corn around the whole area. There had to be several hundred birds in this area. It was unbelieveable. As we walked back to the vehicle after getting our limit, the sky was filled with birds. I just laughed with joy seeing that sight. The best part of the morning was watching my 17 year old son shoot most of the birds (8 of the 12) we needed to fill our limit.

One local told us that if that area has another mild winter the pheasants will be so thick. In fact he said that some of the farmers are getting a bit frustrated in the spring. One farmer had to replant his soy bean crop after he planted it (about 100 acres) because the pheasants picked through and ate all the seed he planted.

Going back around Thanksgiving.

LOW

The area was some private land which was posted way off the road. My buddy knew the farmer so he asked, the farmer said sure and we had a great hunt. Last Saturday the corn in a few areas was beginning to come down but not like we wanted. Again, within two weeks hunting is going to improve greatly. We did do well the last hour of the day hunting in some plots that had standing corn in. The birds were exiting to roost for the evening into the CRP. Sorry if I am being a bit vague, maybe we could e-mail sometime.

LOW

LOW Lover.

Tip from a ND born guy to a native Minnesotan:

PARTY HUNTING IN ND IS ILLEGAL! ooo.gif

From the NDG&F site:

Quote:

Some Common Fishing And Hunting Rules to Remember

Anyone hunting or fishing must shoot or catch their own game' Party hunting and fishing is not legal in North Dakota. It is unlawful to catch or shoot someone else's game.

Expensive lesson on 8 roosters (5 over the daily limit)!!

Thanks for the information! It always amazes me about how liberal ND can be in some laws, 1/2 hour before sunrise you can shoot and then this law which is so conservative or restrictive. Thanks for the information I will keep it in mind. My balloon still is inflated though!

LOW

I am going to camp david lodge on thursday for a 4 day hunt. How did the area fair in the last storm? Looks like some warmer weather is scheduled for the weekend. Cant wait to get out there. Adam

I noticed this posting regarding Camp David was somewhat dated. Are there any further updates regarding the pheasant hunting? We are scheduled for a hunting trip there next October (in addition to some public land hunting earliet in the week) and I was wondering what the experience had been for those that hunted there.

Salem, we had a great time there in DEC. Lots of birds, lots of land to hunt. Food was good and the accomadations were fine. We have already rebooked for next Dec. I posted some pictures of our hunt in the pheasant hunting section. Dave and his son Justin treated us very well. There is also plenty of birds on the public stuff out there. I have familty in SD and I would say the hunting aroung edgeley is every bit as good. Adam