• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How important is a stand

lindyman

If you set up your spot to get a shot from a slightly elevated position (such as a small hill)with good cover, is that good enough? Assuming you have a good shooting line, are there other important reasons to have a stand? How high do you need to get? Does it play a large roll in scent? I hunt public so I don't want to put up any sort of permanent, but also think climbing stands are a little risky.

Thanks for any help,

Lindy

Heres my take on an elevated tree stand Lindy... Two reasons to use them.... Elevating yourself above the line of sight of a deer or the would be prey your after, and to keep your scent above the game.

There are a lot of other variables that come into play to these two factors when placing a stand. Such as the terrain, prevailing winds, and deer movement in the area.

And when I hunt, I try to get up in a tree at least 12 to 15 feet. And my favorite trees if available are mature balsam pines. Great cover scents and a lot of branches to break up your outline. These types of trees are mostly suited for a fixed stand (I use Gorrilla or Lone Wolf Stands coupled with climbing sticks). But there are a lot of good climbers out there that are safe and relatively easy to use. The only drawback is you need a straight tree that doesnt have a lot of branches to allow you to climb.

Your explanation of the elevated hill, could be a good spot for a ground blind set-up, but use the area to your advantage. Because your going to sit on the ground, be sure your downwind of where the deer are moving through this area and try to stay a little ways away from known travel routes of these deer. Many of deer have been taken from the ground, but a proper set-up is crucial to not be seen or winded.