• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I lose much going to a color unit with less V pixels?

carlcmc

Question

I've been thinking of buying the LOWRANCE LMS-330C sonar/gps. With 320V x 240H resolution it sounds great.

However the LMS-480M sonar/gps is monochrome with 480V x 480H resolution.

So the question is this, do i lose that much by going from 480v pixels to 320v pixels since the 320 is in color?

Please provide feedback you have used color units compared to greyscale units. I'm not concerned about wash in the sun as it will be mounted on my pontoon boat that has an awning.

I have never used a sonar unit and so if it is EASIER to interpret a color unit, THAT is what I need to hear i suppose.

6 answers to this question

A topic like yours was asked a while back.
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/003420.html
I would choose the higher resolution but I've been using sounders for 25 years. If I look at it from your stand point I might pick the color. What ever you decide you'll most likely have the best sonar equipped pontoon around. smile.gif Is this just for pleasure cruising, if so either sounder will be over kill.

This is to be my fishing boat smile.gif. I was going to get a bass boat but the family wanted to go with me some and so a compromise was reached. I got a boat, family got to be able to come and relax on the pontoon boat some and have it safe for the kids.

If this is your first sonar than go with the color. The colors make it easier to distinguish betweeen different objects. It's like the fish ID, people who leave their depth finder in this mode get excited over leaves and weeds and floating branches. They all are fish on the screen. Do yourself a favor and read up on your electronics before hitting the water. Guy's tend to mount their finders and hit the lake thinking they know enough about it to get by.

I always thought that wgmsa from the video forum should put together a video and edit it in a split screen to show what the depth finder is reading and what that exact same image is on a camera. Guy's could then see what they are looking at for real and not what they think they are looking at.

surface tension. question for you. I know what a drift sock is, I'm just not sure why you would use one with the pontoon boat? Will a anchor not hold one good enough? and what do you mean about autopilot? Currently all that is on the toon is a 55 hp (Johnson motor i believe?).