• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine radio-do I need it?

Orvis

Question

3 answers to this question

They are 2 different items, as you may already know.

I have a MB and the factory radio in my 1800PROV--I never turn on the Radio, but I leave the MB on all day on bigger water or if we're expecting storms.

When I'm out on bigger water or if friends are in their boats and we're fishing different areas on a lake, e.g. Mille Lacs mud flats--we keep in touch and if one spot is hotter then we join in on a better bite.

On suggestion if you buy MB radio--get the real antenna that is about 12ft. long or so otherwise you have zero range and you may as well not have a MB radio at all.

------------------
Chells

Orvis,

Are you asking if you need a marine version of an AM-FM radio? If so, I would say not really if it is out of the weather. Get a cheapo at best Buy and buy the 4 year service plan for a few bucks. If the radio craps out you can get it fixed for free.

There is a cover, for mounting the radio's in side a panel ,that has a flip open lid.
I have had my AM/FM mounted by the gas tank housing for a few years now and it still plays fine.The cover acts like a face plate and has a flip open door to access the radio.

Benny