• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rat Catcher

BigDaddy

My wife comes home from her morning walk around 6 AM. She's kind of freaked out. She says that our GSP Pepper ran off into the woods/marsh as she usually does. However this time she returned with a live Muskrat in her mouth!

Needless to say, my wife screamed and started to yell "drop" as my proud and excited GSP retrieved her quarry.

Pepper did drop the Muskrat. My wife said that she didn't stick around to see if the rat was going to make it our not.

Better than a Skunk or Porcupine!

The same kind of thing happened to me (my wife). One night at about 2:00 am my wife comes into the bedroom all freaked out. She had let our black lab out in the back yard before she was going to go to bed. He didn't return very quickly and she was tired so she called to him out the door. He reluctantly came but to her dismay he had something in his mouth (and she was pretty sure it was alive). I went downstairs to investigate and sure enough there was a live squirrel laying on the floor of our living room. Lucky for me and unfortunately for the squirrel it was almost dead. My dog just layed his head on the squirrel as if to beg me not to take his new found toy but we did what we had to do. My wife doesn't like to let the dog out at night as much any more. frown.gif

I came home from work fairly late one night last week to find Jeffrey, the wild child GSP dancing around his dog house. Dead possum about 3' in front of the dog house. Why this possum wanted to commit suicide I'll never know, but Jeffrey sure looked sad when I picked up his lunch and threw it in the corn field.

This is gross but if your dog catches and eats wild animals rodents and rabbits in particular pay attention to their stools. Many rodents harbor tapeworms and other parasites that can be detrimental to your dogs overall health. Somehow my Dixie found a frozen rabbit carcas last winter and she ended up with a tapeworm. Yuck!!

gspman

good point gspman, my dogs get ahold of a rabbit inside the fence every once in a while, tapeworms are disgusting. Normal Heartworm medicine "worms" your dog every month for roundworms and heartworm but NOT tapeworm. You can get a dose of tapeworm medicine at Fleet Farm without a perscription for about 15 dollars. I do it now twice a year wether or not i see any. PS dogs that "scoot" thier butts might have impacted glands or might have tapeworms. You don't want either on the carpet......

Gspman, one step ahead of ya. Jeffreys been to the vet and YOU GUESSED IT, the lads got tapeworms. Vet gave him a pill and all is well, now.

I'm actually surprised he doesn't have fleas. The possum that is now fertilizer for the corn field was full of them. Good advertisement for Frontline, I suppose.