• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking about a bow

I was thinking about getting a bow. I would like the old fashion stuff, like what Robin Hood had, but what would be the price range on one of those. When I by some arrows for it, what kind of tip do you think I should use for shooting deer cause thats what I'll mainly hunt with it. If you would have a guess on what the price of an old fashion bow would be and what kind of tips I should use, post something. Thanks.

If you're just starting and want to stay traditional it really doesn't matter if you start with a long bow or recurve...go to your local dealer and if they have a range to try out the equipment give them both a try...be sure to take your draw length into consideration when deciding on poundage...most, if not all long bows and recurve bows are rated at 28 inches...the farther you draw beyond that the more poundage you'll stack up...I have a Martin Hatfield take-down with 60# limbs...at my draw length the poundage stacks to just over 70 pounds at full draw...I'm getting older and if I shoot alot it takes a toll on my shoulders, I am thinking about ordering some 40# limbs or perhaps just selling it. I prefer cedar arrows (I build my own), and for broadheads on my traditional equipment I've had luck with thunderheads on aluminum arrows and diamondback glue-on's on my cedar shafts. For a "good" tradional long bow or recurve you can expect "new prices" to start at around $250-$350...and go upward from there...the last I checked, the Martin Hatfield take down like I have retailed for about $475. I've seen "custom built" long bows for as much as $800-$900 and more! Tradional shooting is all eye-hand coordination...it's like throwing a ball! Find a bow that feels comfortable in your hand, is well balanced, and fits your physical capabilities.

Though it sounds like you're set on a recurve or long bow, if you are looking for the challenge aspect, another route to consider would be to shoot a compound with fingers, no sights, no release. You can buy a brand name plain bow for around the $300.00 mark. I've never shot anything but barebow. Just another option to consider. Some other observations: traditional archery (long bows, recurves) are a lot lighter than compounds (nice for walking). Compounds are a lot shorter in length than traditional (easier in treestands and stalking around brush). Either style requires a lot of practice.