• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Game Fair

gspman

Hey all,

Went to the Game Fair yesterday. Perfect weather. For me it wasn't as good as last years version (same stuff, different year) but it's always fun to go. Took my 6 year old boy Jake with too. He just loves it. Saw a ton of dogs from various breeds which is always neat.

The dog jumping off the dock retrieving event is always entertaining. If I could only get Dixie to jump off a dock like that... She swims like a fish and is a retrieving fool. The funniest part was watching some guy's retriever take a dump on one of the haybales that are used as seats!!! blush.gif Hilarious!

There was a guy in the sporting clays range with a 6'-7' barreled shotgun that people could shoot for a fee. When it fired it didn't go bang, it sounded like a muted FOOP!!! If you watched the gun closely you could see the barrel flex an inch or two when it was fired. A lot of people doing a whole lot of missing on the clays range too.

If you like English Pointers there was a guy on the road on the way to the Fair that had what looked to me like 3 really nice litters of Pointer pups at a very nice price. He was a NSTRA trialer and had an Elhew bred litter, a Miller bred litter, and another litter from a well known NSTRA performer. They all looked great and I really, really wanted one of the Miller pups.

I saw some IMHO overpriced GSP pups in the Game Fair too.

Maybe it's just me but I saw a significant number of dogs, especially pointing breeds, that were carrying excess weight. I can see carrying some excess weight for retrievers because of cold weather retrieving and such but for pointers I guess I just don't get why people let their dogs put on weight during the off season. Simply cutting back their food will keep them at their ideal weight. They may not be in shape but it'll be easier to get them in shape and easier on the dog if they are carrying less weight.

Enough about the negativity. The Game Fair is just plain fun. Where else can you see all that in one place!? I've had upland fever for just about a month now and this only

made it worse!!! Arrrgh! Some one help me!!!

gspman

I went today as well. And, I shot that long barreled gun. I thought it was pretty lethal. Cripes, if I can break targets with it, anyone can. Sure would be fun to dump a goose with it. Wouldn't be much of an upland gun.

Lots of psychotic dogs. Of course, what do you expect when there are a 1000 rear ends to sniff. I appreciate my dogs mellowness when I see how amped up some of these dogs are. But again, what would you expect in that setting.

I didn't see a lot of great prices on stuff, in particular dog accessories. I guess that kind of goes to show that the big box stores are already selling stuff as low as they want to go.

I went with a couple of our great state's Legistlators from the House (DelaForest and Zellers). Despite our two governing bodies lack of urgency in getting things done to help our sport, it's nice to know at least a few of them share our passion. We just need the guys on our side to get some more mic time to help the states of hunting and fishing. Don't be afraid to email your representative to voice your concerns. I know most of them are willing to listen.

And, I've got to agree with GSPman. I'm ready to stow the fishing poles and start whacking animals. That Game Fair is nothing more than a hot and steamy French kiss. The best that is yet to come can't get here fast enough, if you know what I mean.

I went today, had Mandy run the Iams scury.She would have beat the time today if she would have jumped off the dock on her first run.She ran a 32 flat, best time today was a 31.5.

On her second run she over shot the dummy on land and had to regain her footing and then came charging back, her water retrieve was way faster on the second run as she did use the dock.Her second run was 32.5, that stumble on land tring to get the dummy on the run hurt her time.

She didn't do well on the dock long jump as she hit the binders at the last second and just floped into the water.

But at least she went out there and picked up that dummy.

That's all I realy care about is that she will retrieve it.

I only found a few deals on dog blinds, I got a Finisher mut hut for under $85 with tax.There was one place up on the hill selling those GHG motion deks that were a real good price, but lack of funds prevented me from getting those.

We sat in on a few seminars, after wards we tried to chat with a few speakers only to be brushed off as soon as they saw the opertunity to make money.One dog trainer was going to show me how to get Mandy to steady to shot, but some one with a puppy started asking about his cost and facility to train thier pup.

Even the famous goose guide whom my friend knows well didn't have the time of day to chat when he saw the Sportsmans Werehouse top brass.He bolted to them like a quarter to a candy machine.

Man there were a lot of people there today, we got there at 10 AM and the private parking close in was already filling up.Only saw one bad dog fight, a Chessi tore into some sitter breed and they were going at it.

It took the owners all they had to pull them apart,I have never seen a sitter breed fight that hard.The dog did a good job of fending off that huge Chessi.

There was some guy riding a horse around down by the scurry event, he had that horse trained to walk right up to some one and nuzzle them so they would move out of the way.

And I mean the horse was gentle about it too.

Only complaint I have is that I should have left the misses at home, my daughter and I could have stayed another two hours but she had enough.

Oh well, pay back is coming at the state fair.

When she heads for the grand stand I will tell her I am leaving:)

Benny