• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HOW TO USE A BOW//// FOR DUMMIES

USPENAMC

Hi, i just barely started getting interested in bowhunting i have never even held one. i would like to ask the bowhunters that know their equipment tho explain a bit about the bow itself . such as parts example quiver what its used for. i see people talk about a bunch of things for bows some look like they have more accessories than a CHRISTMAS TREE and i would like to know some of the parts what they do and what brands you recommend. i guess this will give you guys a good place to brag...and teach at the same time...thank you in advance from all of us that are looking into getting a bow and learning our equipment as best we can.

Uspenamc-

This would proably be better for you to go to an archery proshop as this post could turn into a book very easily. I will hit the major parts as quick as I can.

Riser-Is the metal part of the bow/handle, WIth this you then get measurements like axel to axel lenght and brace height. Axel/axel is the lenght the bow is from top to bottom roughly. A longer bow is more forgiving, yet slower. While shorter bows can be easier to manuver, yet less forgiving and faster. Brace height is the distance from the string to the handle, a longer brace height again is more forgiving yet slower and vice versa.

Wheels-Wheels are the part fot ehbow that make it a compound bow. They spin and thus allow a compound bow to have let off. Anotherwords, a compound bow may have a maximum draw weight of 60 lbs, but you may only hold 15 lbs when the bow is fully drawn, letting you hold it longer to give you the best shot. Some wheels are faster than others.. yet again, the faster a bow usually is the less forgiveing it is.

limbs- They are the part of the bow that bends and stores energy for the bow.

arrows- some are carbon, some are aluminun, some are a combination of the 2. HAving the correce spine/bend/weight to your arrow is VERY important.

Rest-The part on the bow that holds your arrow.

Sight-The part on the bow you use to aim.

Peep Sight- Like the rear sight on a gun, line it up with the frint sight.

String silencers-Used to stop vibration and quiet the bow.

release- Often used nowdays to hold the string. More accurate than holding the string with your fingers.. and much less painfull as well.

Quiver- what holds the arrows when not being used.

hope this helps, I am sure I missed a lot.

uspenamc, a person could write on all the different aspects of bowhunting, equipment, history, etc. Do an internet search on 'archery history' or 'compound bows', goto the library, goto an archery shop and look at bows, check into joining a leaque. Then come back here with questions. Good luck, archery is a great sport.