• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We are going to South Dakota on the 20th to scout the areas we want to hunt.Mainly up around Lake city, Roy Lake area and down as far as Aberdien.

What's the water conditions and duck populations look in the North East area now?

Benny

From what I have seen around watertown this summer water conditions are good. I know Waubay area had some flooding this spring/summer from some thunderstorms. I would guess the swamps should be up.

Around Lake Ponisett is a different story. Water levels are low.

That is a great area to duck hunt. Bring some goose shells as well. There are many local honkers in that area.

I grew up in Aberdeen and spend all my life hunting around there and towards the East. You might want to look at getting closer to Sand Lake Refuge. Lake City has more hilly/rougher terrain and the duck population may be limited a bit more in that area. The Waubay, Rush Lake, Bitter Lake areas have a good population of local ducks. I've got some contacts near the Lynn Lake area and have done super well in that part.

If your looking closer to Aberdeen, Mansfield slough will always provide duck hunting action.

If you want, shoot me an email and I can provide you with my online photo album. It gives dates and places we hunted. Most of my hunting is private, but I do tap into the public lands occasionally.

[email protected]

Didn't make it to Aberdean, too many other spots to check out at Webster area.

Plus we had to spend extra time locating a few fields to hunt that were not leased by guides.

We found two nice spots so we leased them our selves.

There are so many managment areas and slews to hunt it is unbeleivable, we also saw a ton of ducks.

Geese were hard to find, but a few farmers told us of areas where they were damaging crops so we checked them out.

Lots or road construction and the road crews have many hotels alread booked till freeze up, so finding a spot to stay will get harder this year as the seasons get closer.

Tons of beans and alfalfa this year for crops, some corn and wheat as well.

Benny

Yes Benny, That area is an untapped resource of opportunity. It is just far enough from Aberdeen to keep down on traffic. I frequent it because of the fishing potential it holds, but also to check out the fowl. Some of these waterfowl production areas only get hunted a few times a year. They can be extremely good for ducks. The geese seem to prefer water that they know is safe.

Don't pass up the Bitter Lake area. I was on that body of water a few weeks ago and there are local geese all over the place. That lake along with Rush Lake are wildlife havens.

Tyler, can you email me?I need to locate the local CO up there to ask some questions.

Also would like to discuse a few things off the site with you.

benstackle at netzero dot net.

Thanks,Benny