• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing near Johnston IA, need help.

Well, unfortunately you are not going to get in any blue catting around Johnston. There are plenty of channels and flats, but no blues. As far as lakes close to Johnston, you have Saylorville and Big Creek right there. Both are good fisheries depending on what you are chasing. The Des Moines River comes right through Johnston out of Saylorville and produces good fish as well. Depending on how far you want or are able to go, there are other lakes within a 45min drive. What else would you want to chase and are you going to be by boat or shore bound??? That would help me give you better advice.

goody

On a side note to this, I work in Johnston and have my boat in tow to fish before and/or after work as much as possible. I fish the area A LOT you could say and should be able to help if you need more help.

goody

Goody,

I'm not sure if Rusty got your reply. He will be down there all week for some job related training, and would like to fish cats anywhere near the area. He does not have his boat with him, but maybe you guys can trade some time in yours for some time in his on the Red Lake or Red River sometime. I could even get you out on Lake of the Woods and/or the Rainy River....what a trip that would be huh? Rusty runs his own guide service up here, and has a heck of a nice new River Pro to get you to where the fish are biting. Give that number he posted above a call this afternoon. If you like to fish cats at all, you'll love fishing with Rusty.

Boy I am sure wishing I was a cat man with an offer like that, but I am a tried and true walleye guy smile.gif

As far as local cats in the area, Big Creek, Saylorville, and the Des Moines River have all been giving up some fish. A nice 53lb flathead was taken by a crankbait troller out on saylorville a few weeks ago and there have been a couple 50lb+ fish taken out of the river. Big Creek has been fairly consistent on channels, as has saylorville and the river.

If you get a chance, jump over to Iowa Outdoors there are a lot of catters over there that can really help a lot more than me. Some lurk on this site, but not enough that any will see this post. I may post for them to drop in over here and help as well. A lot of good die hard catters over there that one should be able to help.

Good luck!!!! Let me know if I can help out more! (I may actually go dip some cat lines tomorrow and see if I can stir anything up before work).

goody

Well thanks fellas.. I did not have much luck down there.. I got a sheephead and a sunfish. Bummer.... I now know why so many fishermen come from IA to fish MN... We have it pretty good up here I guess.. .

Hope to see some of ya up here one day. If your ever heading up just give a shout.