• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to pan fishing

TC123

I'm extremely new to pan fishing - especially crappies. The extent of my experience is bobber fishing with crawlers. I am getting my 7 year old sun very excited about fishing and would really appreciate some help on which lakes to try (and maybe a special spot on the lake). I would like to try White Bear and Green (in Chisago) due to what I've heard and read about them for crappies.

I don't really care about the size - I would rather see a lot of crappies vs. small numbers of large ones.

Also, from what I've read on here - do crappies actually prefer plastics over crappie minnows? I was thinking about trying with the minnows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Plastics are usually fished with a retreiving or jigging motion so they may not be the best way for a youngun' to fish, although you probably could get away with dangling them under a float. But live bait might be the best choice in that case. Plastics do catch pannies though.

Juggs is right about the plastics issue here. It is important to take small kids "catching" instead of fishing. Plastics may be too aggresive of a bait for a young one starting just out. I would opt for a smaller jig and a waxie over the crawler or worm and a minnow may serve you even better than that.

While I am not too familiar with many of the metro area lakes, I do know that many offer very good shorefishing for the pannies and if the crappies prove too elusive the sunfish will almost always be agreeable.

White Bear and Green are both good options, as are Chisago/South Lindstrom (close to Green) and Bald Eagle (close to White Bear). A couple options close to each other to choose from if one lake doesn't produce. You should also be able to pick up a good number of sunfish on all four lakes as well.

I agree with Tom, if you're looking at putting a lot of fish in the boat, regardless of size, then go with a waxie or live-bait combo of some sort. While plastics can and will put numbers in the boat, they do require a little more (not a whole lot) focus and technique, and for the kids you're going to want to go simple. Something that the kids can just cast out and let it sit.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

(EDIT: This is for sunnies.. I don't catch crappies this way.)

Here's what I suggest.. since my 5 y/o has had much fun on WBL using plastics... your 7 y/o certainly could give it a whirl. Not many crapppies.. but lots of sunnies. In certain spots.. they are so thick that all Luke does is put his looney tunes rod in (with around 2 feet of line) and pulls it back and forth while he watches them fight over the bait and up comes a fish.. and once in a while a rock bass or a 1+ lb. pumpkinseed! Even largemouth bass have been caught that way. I have a few KEY spots if you are interested.. just email me.

Here's what we use... a small jig (any color) I can't remember weight but 1/16th or so.. and a black/green 1" tube- I find these at both Fleet Farm and Gander Mountain.. (see picture below).. I think you will have fun and success... But as the others stated.. bring alone some waxies or something as a backup.

sunny1.jpg

sunny2.jpg

sunny3.jpg

thanks for the help guys... I've brought my 7 year old out a couple times this year and we have caught a lot of little sunnies which keeps him happy. He loves pulling fish out of the lake, regardless of size. I was hoping to get into a few other species for him too (like some crappies). I guess while he is bobber fishing with worms, maybe I'll try some plastics (2" power grubs sound OK to start with?). I have a few colors of small tubes that I can try too (but they are the unscented kind).

Just wanted to mention. For live bait you cannot beat a cricket.

And slyster showed you the hottest color jig I've used. Black & chartreuse. (actually, that looks like the exact model tube I use)

Although I fish them on a beetlespin style lure (fishnspin , google it) they are easy to fish but still may be advanced for a 5 year old. But if you're going to throw one I highly suggest this style lure. Cast & slow retrieve (rod tip high)....works great.

(oh, & I like to tip the spinner with a waxworm, may not be needed but I think it does)

(edit: oops 7 year old smile.gif Hmm. He might be able to throw a spinner. Kids like to cast & retrieve & keep active, spinners are perfect for them)