• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow-water spearing

I saw some monster carp in the shallows last weekend. They weren't feeding, so I couldn't catch them, but a bow-angler could have slaughtered them. Not being one who bow-fishes (maybe I should start)I was wondering if one could get close enough with a boat and a long handled spear, or if they're too skittish. Any tips would be appreciated.

just exactly how do you plan to release one after you spear it? Just doesnt seem to make much sense...when you could be fishing with a rod and reel, instead, you decide to kill it...try going to another location on the lake and looking for the feeders...I've seen carp sunbathing and a few hundred yards away seen huge schools tailing and grubbing in the weeds...

Check hsolist if your interested in a bow. We just bought an old 45lb. compound bow that works perfectly. Those fish in the shallows are by far very easy to sneak up on too. I would reccommend a canoe or water craft powered by man power rather than a loud motor. I have hit several with my paddle while canoeing. Don't know what to do about getting a spear? Make one..? confused.gif

I would keep my eyes open for an old recurve bow, or a lower weight compound.. you dont need 70 pounds for shooting carp. I had an old 40# recurve that worked great... it went away in a garage sale.

Check garage sales, hsolist, whatever, there are lots of old bows out there.

I trashed a few good spears in a hurry on carp when I was young and wouldn't recommend it. Carp are too strong and have hard scales so regular northern spears don't fair well. I would get a bow.