• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing around Mason City?

My son and his family may be moving to the Mason City area, so of course "where to fish" becomes the question of the day. He is primarily a bass fisherman (both largemouth and smallmouth) but will also drag the bottom looking for walleye. Where do those of you with similar tastes go for these species in the area? Any help is appreciated. Thanks...bob

Bob,

Howdy I am up in Northwood, Iowa, which is 20 miles north of Mason City on highay 65. I will give you the scoop of the places to fish that I know of.

Of course the main place is Clear Lake. There you can catch walleye, yellow bass, bullhead, musky, catfish, and crappie. For info on the latest catch call Dome Bait and Tackle in Ventura (on the west end of the lake) also the place (McIntosh Woods) I like to put in at as it is a litle more protected from the wind. Also it seems whenever I hear a report of a hot walleye or yellow bass bite and the water is boiling with them, I about guarantee you if I go there I won't catch a dang thing, so I don't know if they are telling a fish story or not.

In Mason City is the Winnebago river. Never fished it but I guess there is catfish and a few other species.

Also in Mason City is Big Blue. It is an old quarry pit that I never fished. I would guess it has your basic variety of species to catch. Also in the winter they stock trout.

Up here in Worth County are two little park that have quarry pits. They are Kuennen's Quarry 1 1/2 miles south of Northwood, and Worth County Lake 2 miles NE of Kensett. Both have Crappies, blugills, bass, and catfish. Also in the winter at Kuennen's Quarry they stock Brook and Rainbow trout. But you have to have a park permit from November 1st to April 1st. Worth COunty residents are free as non residents it is $10 and is good for the date above.

In the northwest part of Worth County is Silver Lake which has perch, bullhead and northern. There is a nice campground on the north side of the lake $10 per night.

If you do move down here let me know and I can show you around.

There is also Beeds Lake in Hampton (about 25 miles South of Mason City). It's a very small "no wake" lake, but holds both crappies and largemouth as well as the occasional northern.