• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does this have to be about hunting dogs?

Dan Thiem

I know this forum is hunting dogs, but I would like to ask a question to all you guys that know dog habits and traits.

First of all I'm not new to the dog world. I'm 44 and have been around all kinds of breeds all my life. German Shepards and Golden Retrievers are definatley my favorite.

Right now we have three dogs. Two of which are 8 and 4 years old. Both house trained and very well behaved. My dilema comes in here, we inherited a 4 year old Jack Russell Terrier. It's a spayed female that's nothing short of a ball of muscle and nerves. The thing has an attitude of a Pit Bull crossed with a Wolverine. But it snuggles my wife and daughter like a teddy bear.

The inheritence is a long story that I wont bore you with.

But, my two questions are, how does a guy house train a dog that's already developed a potty problem. She [PoorWordUsage]s and pees in the house. We keep saying "wanna go outside" like we do with our other two dogs and we let her out. But she comes back in and the minute we turn our back there is a little tootsie roll to pick up. Or a nice little wet spot to soak up and scrub.

What's a guy to do?

My second question involves a little more detail. She dosen't even acknowledege you when you call her to come. She just ignores me. So I walk over to her and she runs away.

I have rewarded her with praise and treats when she comes but she won't come with any regular routine. Sometimes she just ignores me.

What's a guy to do? I can't give her away, my daughter can't have her where she lives now and her bad habits came with.

Any help from you guys will be tried and very much appreiciated.

Thanks guys!

Quote:

The thing has an attitude of a Pit Bull crossed with a Wolverine.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like that dog has had its way all its life. And thats the problem, she thinks shes the head of the pack. I would start with mega leash work, make her heel, even get a pinch collar and get a little rough with her, then start some checkcord work, when she doesn't come, reel her in, lots of praise. First time off the checkcord, make sure its in a spot where you can catch her, like in your garage. When she doesn't come, run her down. My guess from your pervious description is that she'll bite you when you grab her. Show her in no uncertain terms that that is unacceptable. Then back on the checkcord so that she knows that shes supposed to come when called. Then back to the garage off the leash, make her come when called, plenty of praise. Maybe even use some electricity - an electric collar - but you have to make her understand who the boss is.

I don't have house dogs, but my observations is that dogs, even females, use their [PoorWordUsage] and pee to mark territory. My guess is thats what shes doing. Once you get thru the checkcord/come lessons, when she [PoorWordUsage]s in the house, go grab her, take her over to the bad spot, shake her up, then back outside, even give her some quality time on a chain outside. She'll get the idea that you don't want her doing her job in the house.

She sounds headstrong, you have your hands full, you need to be tough with her and show her whos boss. The only other option is that she 'disappears' sometime when your wife and kid aren't around.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Blackjack.

I've also become attached to this little vermon. At night she settles down and really is a nice little dog.

I will keep working with her. There is hope. Thanks again!

Obeidence with dogs, and their training is 99.99% based on dominance. In other words.....who is in charge here? It sounds like this dog has been allowed to be in charge most of it's life. You have your hands full.

I agree with blackjack. You have to teach it who's boss before it will learn anything else. Unfortunately it's not a puppy anymore so, yes, things may have to become a little rough. I'm not saying beat the dog. Using a choker collar and actually laying on top of the dog until it submits works wonders.

Don't get frustrated. Keep it fun and good luck to ya.

Agree with both Blackjack & boilerguy. Have been fortunate to have a sheltie and border collies as indoor/outdoor dogs. All were raised from pups and were fast learners. Rope training is a must. Have taken care of my Mom's dogs over the years (a bassett & a border collie) while she's been gone, in the hospital, etc., and had to teach both of them some discipline & etiquette. Didn't have to get too physical but they knew I meant business. She was amazed each time at how differently they behaved when she got them back. From the people I know who have Jack Russells, they are headstrong little balls of muscle but also very intelligent. They say perseverance is the key. Hang in there and make sure it knows you're the alpha dog but always praise the dog highly for a task well done, just as you've done your other dogs. My guess is, it'll come around.

Happy Birthday Boiler!

Dan

I don't know if this is part of the problem, but with the statement she won't come to you and runs when you try to get her. But do you know if she was abused by a male earlier in her life?

Also I don't know how long you have had her, but when my ex and I broke up and I moved out my house trained dog started peeing in the house again. And a guy I talked to said he was probably rebeling and was upset he was in a different environment. We also had another dog that she kept, and I guess that makes it even worse cause they also miss their buddy. I don't know if any of this applies to you but thats what I was told. Just ride it out it will get better I'm sure.

I always like when someone follows up with an update so here you go.

After some long and sometimes very frustrating time, we have gotten that little thing finally trained to come when she's called. (Most of the time) Lots of praise and rewards when she does.

Also the tootsie rolls are mosty now done outside. She really is a cool little thing. Now if we can get her to stop thinking she's the boss in front of our other two dogs. We are lucky that they just kind of blow her off. Just a little ankle biter they think.

Thanks again for all your replies.