• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog committment

island guy

Sorry to sound preachy, but I need to get this off my chest. I recently spent a weekend with a old hunting buddy and Vet. He was going to a get together of other Vet friends from college. I tagged along. I was saddened when talk got around to hunting dogs and how many dogs they put down because they are "untrainable". These "hunters" often go out and get another dog they feel will be better. According to these guys, most of the "untrainable" dogs they put down are worked with once or twice a week by their owners. Expectations are high and when it doesn't work out, they move on to the next dog. I thought this must be pretty isolated instances, but it's not. My friend said he probably put down a dozen this year.

I'm not a expert dog trainer. I've had retrievers all my life and years ago used to sell a litter a year of started dogs. There are many good ways to train a dog. We all have our favorite. None of these methods work without TIME SPENT!! Taking your dog out of the kennel twice a week won't do it. It's rare to get a pup that doesn't need lots of work to be a good hunting companion. Case in point. A couple of years ago my 14 year old son wanted his own dog. We had long discussions of the responsibility and work it would take. We found a 10 month old lab that had a good background. The guy was willing to give it to us as he claimed the dog was a bonehead and untrainable. My inner voice screamed no, no, no!! But the kid really wanted this dog. I taught my kid the basic stuff and told him it would be a everyday thing. To my amazement, he stuck with it. He worked that dog each and every day. We got that dog in june and hunted it that fall. It was terrible. My son spend more time with his gun cased during hunts, trying to control that dog, than he did hunting. But he stuck with it. That dog is now the finest hunting dog I've ever hunted over. It's not because we are great trainers. It's because the kid was willing to put in the time.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that if you're looking for a good hunting companion and arn't willing to put in the time, don't do it. Once or twice a week just won't do it.

There, I feel a little better.

If one wants a good hunting dog,it takes more work than another child.I raised a English Pointer for field trials and hunting and it takes more than a total commitment.I worked with the dog many hours a week and when we went to a field trial or hunting it was more than worth it.The other thing people dont realize is the cost of a good dog,from proffesional traing to your work and health and food costs.What more in the end is better than going hunting and watching the dog work and it doesnt matter if you even harvest a bird.Everyone should once in thier lifetime hunt behind a great dog,its awesome and rewarding.

My dog is deffinelty not the best, but he sure loves to go hunting, does a good job and is fun to watch. As far as it doesn't even matter if we don't harvest a bird. I don't know about that (at least for my dog) , he seems to get kind of bummed if there is no action. grin.gif

"hooks"

Hooks--just ment that I dont care as its so much fun to watch him work the field and birds,im sure it would make a difference to the dog.

I know its tough to turn down business, but why don't vets just refuse to put down these dogs unless there is something physically, or mentally wrong with them. Maybe the reality of having to shoot their own dogs would deter some of these people from doing it. Having a dog put down just because it's a bad hunter goes down as animal cruelity in my book.

FI

Why don't they give someone else the opportunity to have the dog. It does not need to be a hunting dog at all, many are looking for good loving companions! As long as we are griping about bad dog owners, here is my gripe. I own a yellow lab and across the street, another guy has one as well. I run my dog during training sessions while the poor dog across the street has to sit and watch. He rarely gets out of his cage and pretty much lives a life of solitude. Maybe I am too much of a softy but come one, why get a dog if you let it rot in its cage or on a chain all day for years upon years? One day I will offer to take the dog out but really, that is not my responsibility! Sorry to gripe but this really bothers me. Use it or give the poor critter to someone who will bring some enjoyment to the dogs life. Anyway, have a good weekend all!

jlm,

I see that as well, and it don't get it either. I have people that have actually gotten mad at me because I have to get home and take care of the dog. I tell them how would you like to be kenneled up for so many hours during the day? He does have it nice when I am gone( has the house and kenneled area outside, but he also doesn't appear to go to the bathroom until he can get to tall weeds or the woods), but still, being alone all the time sucks for me and I am sure it sucks for him as well. I didn't get him to only take care of him when it is convenient.

"hooks"

Quote:

I run my dog during training sessions while the poor dog across the street has to sit and watch. He rarely gets out of his cage and pretty much lives a life of solitude.

No, your not being a softy, It was the same scenario where I used to live. My black lab was growing up and I would take mine out for a jog/walk at least three times a week. The guy across the way had a golden lab(3years old) that was used for strictly, duck hunting. I saw it get worked with once, maybe twice a month. Really well disciplined though.

But, I used his dog to my benefit in a way. When the time came to get Chomp to retrieve in the water, I would take my neighbors dog and bring them both down to the drainage ditch and my dog would learn by watching, not after too long my puppy had learned every thing the three old lab did. From there we just kept trying to enhance what she'd learned.

WAG