• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris wiring (I think?)

Sand Burr

I have a 1996 polaris sportsman. Two weekend ago I lost the AWD light on the handle bar that indicates its in 4wd. I no longer have 4wd. I have followed the the wires up from the hubs to the panel and down from the switch to the panel. No seen problems with the wires. My questions is I also have no power to any of them. What makes it engage? I thought the polaris sight used to have a wiring diagram but couldnt find that either? Any help would be great!

SB, did you check/replace the AWD bulb? That may be tied into the system. Also, a failure in the ignitiopn key will shut down the AWD but allow the machine to run. I'm snoopin' for a diagram but haven't found it yet.

The bulb is part of the push button switch so I think I would have to replace the whole switch? I don't know how to check the ignition switch. I do know that there is no power to the awd switch no matter what I do. You would think something has to deliver power to activate it?

Not sure how similar it is but, I have a 95 300 4x4 that has had many problems over the years in the 4x4 department. due to much use and abuse. Try pushing the reverse over ride switch while going forward and see if the light/AWD comes back. Mine had this problem and it was a sense switch in the shift lever area. About $200 at the dealer later it worked again. Now about 5 years later it dies intermittently when you go into reverse but not if the over ride switch is pushed. I know what I put my money on. As far as diagrams, did you look at Fleet Farm to see if they have a Chilton's type manual? I know I have seen them there before. I may even stop their tomorrow to look since I would like a more in depth book for my rides. I know you can get detailed shop manuals from Polaris for around $30 but have never done it myself.

I just looked at BarnesandNoble.com. They have a manual from Clymer that should give you all the info you need, hopefully. It is ISBN: 0892878932. Check you local library, they might even have access to it.

I and others I ride with have had these switches go out and the AWD won't work with out the light on. I haven't had it happen in a while but I think it is a cheap bulb if you can get one from the dealer.

Quote:

Now about 5 years later it dies intermittently when you go into reverse but not if the over ride switch is pushed.

For normal operation, the AWD feature will not engage in reverse unless you push the override button.

Dave:

That is true but my problem is that intermittently when you shift into reverse, the motor shuts off like you hit the key. If you hit the over ride, you don't have the problem. Since this unit has hade shift lever switch problems before, I would bet that the problem lies down there somewhere. Thanks for the idea though.

sand, if by no power you mean the awd switch to then I would look at the igniton switch. I have seen people that have key rings on their key with somthing on them have trouble becase the extra wight would turn the key just enough to shut down the awd but nothing else.

You asked, what makes it all work. My very layman understanding is. with awd switch on you send power to sensors that detect if the back tires break lose and send power to a coil on the front wheels that in turn kick in the front hubs. When the back tires quit spining again the senors turn off and you are in two wheel.