• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weekend Waubay Report!

Well, Waubay experienced a tough bite this past weekend. High winds and variable wind direction made walleye fishing very interesting. Fished the entire body of water Sat. morning starting at 9:00. Found nothing until 12:00 and then preceeded to land 23 fish in the boat. We struggled againts the wind and worked the North Side of Hedkes Island with long single hooked snells. At about mid afternoon we decided to take a break from the wind and found protection on the south side of Hedke. The water was calm and we located ourselves and our bobbers on rock humps at 11 feet of depth. We landed 163 walleyes in about 4 hours and had a hard time keeping up - very awesome! Sunday was a different story. Variable winds changed the locations of bait fish and made our previous day experience nothing but a memory. The bite was tough in the morning with only a dozen fish in the boat. Worked many favorite areas with little success. We relocated back to the north side of Hedkes and had a 40 fish day of fun bobber fishing on the break at about 9 1/2 feet of water. Most fish range from 13-17 inches with 18 being the largest. Had a great time, however, wind SUCKS! Thanks to Roy and Penny at Grenville for the lively minnows!

We were out there thurs-sun, and it was indeed difficult on fri and sat. The weather made everything pretty tough. But we managed plenty of fish in the 10-12 foot depths. Sat we tried to get out of the wind on Lynn, but had a vary difficult time getting them to bite. Sun was a great day on waubay again, only 5-10 mph winds sure made it enjoyable. Hard to keep two lines in the water at times. Bigger fish for us came on the south end.

Anytime that we could not find bait fish in the calm waters we worked long snells and plain red hooks with minnows. When we marked lots of both game fish and bait fish we bobber fished and just slaughtered them. We maintained our hooks one foot off the bottom due to some cold water algea. I would pay attention to your graph and look for bottom composition changes like from mud to rock transition lines. We were picky about where we bobber fished but it payed off in the end. The lake has had many days of high winds out of the north. The south lake seemed to be producing lots of fish and lots of bigger fish. Hedkes Island seemed like the hot spot to be. I did notice many boats not producing so don't count out other options or methods of fishing these good areas. Many people seem to be content waiting for the fish. I suggest searching and locating, then being content. It paid off for us and I hope it does for you. Good luck and fish on!!

We have been out the last 2 weekends and the fishing has been spectacular to say the least. Eight feet of water has been the ticket for us on the rocks. Lots of 13"to 17" fish with one that went 26 1/2". Lost another big female at the boat. Right before the sun sets we have had some of the most incredible fishing I have ever seen. Thats not to say the day bite does not keep you occupied smile.gif Caught a couple northerns and a few smallies mixed in throughout the last two weekends. Incredible!

I don't have much to report. We fished the small lakes south of Webster last Sunday and came home with 2 fish. Nothing real great. It looks like I'm going to have to spend my time on Waubay.

Thanks for all the reports. Keep em coming....