• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plastics under floats: was my technique all wet?

Wish2Fish

Guys, I tried fishing plastics on jigs yesterday under a slip float. But I wonder if I'm inadvertantly "merging" some of the advice I've read here recently. I would cast where I expected the fish to be--but once I had my line out, I realized I wasn't sure what to do next. I let the natural wave action impart action into the jig--then gave it a twitch or two, reeled in a couple feet of line and let it rest another minute...keep that up until I got close to the boat. I didn't catch a thing despite trying several color/profile combinations, and trying to match the depth to what I was seeing on my flasher. I realize there are hundreds of variables and I don't expect fish every outing--but I'm going to try again today and wanted to double-check my technique with the experts. Does the technique sound right? I considered going to a fixed position float and trying a slow, steady retrieve back to the boat, but couldn't find what I needed in my tackle box. Oops.

Thanks!!

One thing to try that really gets the early season crappies to hit well is this. Use a fixed float and give it a pop every few seconds, crappies go nuts for popping and plopping! This also keeps the bait moving, and lets the plastic really shine!

If you don't have a fixed float, just use a slip float and put a stop on both sides of it.

depending on the water depth; shallow a fixed float is a little easier to control. as matt said some times just a little swtch, let it set for a second or two.or several twitches with a longer pause, and some times just the wave action. when using a slip float in shallower water , there is a chance tht you maybe moving the lure to much due to having to take up line in order make the float move.some times the fish may want the lure active , and others they want it just teasing them . using a float isn't the only way to fish , but is a great option! have patience,and exsperiment with retreives.

Saw a guy and his wife doing this today, Pounded crappies, I didn't have abny fixed floats with, slipfloats woulding do the job for me, and live bait caught too many bullheads, I left.

Next time out i will deffinatly be trying this method, he convinced me.