• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RatLTraps similar liples crank as search bait?

RandyFish

One of my goals -- to refer to a previous post -- is to establish "go-to" search baits as part of "system" for working an area, particluarly one that I am new to.

I know I will be using spinner baits more in that regard, or shallower crank or jerk bait, depending on condition...but does anyone use a lipless crank for such purposes?

I would think a lipless would be pretty versatile, since you could let it sink when working edges, but can you work it fast and stay above the weeds. And is it effective as a broad approach?

Otherwise, my overall goals: Fish my search baits faster...and my plastics and jigs slower.

Thanks to all of you for your advice this winter. I will keep a jig on at all times this summer.

RandyFish

sure it can be used as a search bait! especially over/ around weeds. one of the hot tricks is to tick the tops of weeds , when it hangs up , rip it loose, and be ready. as with many lures, trying it and thinking about how you want to fish it is half the battle.

Yep, I agree. Lipless cranks can be a great search bait. But, from my experience, if I hook a fish on one, I'm not always inclined to put it down and slow down.

There always seems to be a good pre-spawn bite (states other than Minnesota where pre-spawn fish are in season) on lipless baits. I've went many a day where they are virtually the only bait I've thrown. In the late summer and early fall before the weed flats die out completely, a lipless bait is one of the first baits I grab. If the fish are up on the flats, the wind is blowing, and there's a little overcast, a lipless is the bait I want tied on.

One tip on lipless cranks, use a soft rod. A jumping bass can throw a lipless crank pretty darn easy if there isn't any give in the line and the rod. I use a 7 foot fiberglass rod with 12 pound mono. That setup will still lose a fish or two, but I feel I land many more with it than say a 7 foot medium heavy. The one trade off with a softer setup is that it does make it more difficult to rip a bait free of weeds.

i am going to try to use more lipless cranks this year also. i think it would be a great search bait, especially on the river where you are dealing with stained water. i think when i use one on clear water i will try more natural colors.