• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with Suckers?

I have tried to catch some suckers in the area for the past couple of years, haven't been able to get one to bite. I know that there is suckers in the spots I am fishing, cause I accidentally snag one or two while trying to catch them, actually in some areas them are loaded up. I have tried fishing(using a crawler and a plain hook fished on bottom)in Late Apr-earlt May, do they not want to bite when when they are spawning?

My ? is what is the best presentation and time of the spring runs to target them.

Its normally not too difficult to get them to cooperate on the spring runs .. the only advice I can give it to be sure your not using too large of presentation. A #6 hook and a 1/3 nightcrawler, or an angle worm is usually enough to get them to chew, and not so large that they wont get the hook in their mouth. Use as little weight as possible to hold your bait down.

The best areas to fish are where a creek runs into a bigger river. We always use a basic lindy rig with about a half of night crawler. You can catch them all spring as soon as the ice goes out, but it is better in late april and may. white suckers always run first, and redhorse will run a little later.

Good advice above. I'd add that the entire sucker family can be very light-biters, especially in the spring. From shore, putting a sensitive rod in a forked stick and watching it closely is your best bet. Holding it in your hand isn't ideal, and you have a tendency to move your bait too which may get you snagged. Use half crawlers and just let it sit out there in a hole or deep run, and the suckers will track it down and find it in no time. ~hogsucker

So what you guys are saying is that if the fish are there and I am using 1/3-1/2 of a crawler or an angle worm, with a small hook and just enough weight to keep my bait on the bottom and use a rod holding method they will bite.

I'll give er a try prolly within a week or two.

Thanks for the input guys.

Hogsucker,

You hit the nail on the head!

Only other thing I'd add is two forked sticks. The rear one being a little shorter than the front one. Depending on how windy it is. That will help to keep your reel out of the muck or sand or whatever.

Also, I have had better luck setting the hook as soon as I see the rod tip wiggle. I don't like to let them "take it" like trout.

Another thing, just find a semi-deep to deep hole adjacent to or down from some current.

My son loves circle hooks, but I'm an old #6 baitholder die hard. I like the crawler slid up the shank.

I also like a sliding sinker for certain situations too.

Can't wait! Fun for the whole family!! grin.gif

here's a couple photos of the area i fish for redhorse each spring(couple weeks from now..the st.louis river forbes dam).i usually use a forked stick for my rod but the rocks worked well that day... the set up i used was 6 # line with a snap then a 3' snell with either a plain #6 hook or a 1/8 ounce lead head jig with a small crawler (i also attach a clip on bell sinker(1/4 ounce on the main line above the snell)...

thedamcopy.jpg

2004_0502dam20040005copy.jpg

2004_0502dam20040003copy.jpg

Mr. Redhorse,

Awesome as usuall!!!

I can see myself sitting just behind that pole waiting for a little "tap tap". Then WHAM. The fight is on. Stressing the drag.

That yellow pole a shakespere?