• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Road & Trail Closures

Dave

Reminder to be aware of trail conditions before riding. Temporary road and trail closures listed on the DNR link below are updated each Thursday after 2 p.m. For more current information, call the numbers listed for each road or trail.

Trail Conditions

even if the trail is not closed, we need to use our heads this time of year to not tear up the trails. the frost will not be out for a couple of weeks in central minnesota, and the top soil will be very soft untill then.

If you ride in a state forest that is closed for spring breakup, my advice is to call the forester (number is on the DNR site) every Thursday and ask them when the forest will be open. From my conversations with them the last two years, they don't actually go out and check the ground conditions, one guy told me they "just wait two or three weeks after the road weight limits are off". We had a really dry spring here last year and long after the ground was thawed and dry they kept the forest closed. This year a forester told me the purpose of closing the forest in the spring was to "keep you people out of the woods".

So I recommend you call your local forester every Thursday when they update the forest spring closures and ask when it will open and what the parameters are for opening. If we don't bug them, they will never change. "we closed the forest for spring breakup and didn't get one call asking when it would open". I guarantee it. Just imagine how frustrating it is for those of us that live in a forest - even though the ground is dry and hard you can't ride out of your yard legally.

later

River