• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled for Ice Fishing

IceAge@work

I'm a snowmobile novice but am starting to see the need to purchase one for future big lake ice fishing adventures. The four-wheeler I currently have works well on small metro lakes but for tooling around on Mille Lacs or LOTW I know it is not the ticket.

What kind of options should I be looking at and how do they improve the machine for fishing purposes. Brands and model suggestions are good just don't want it to get into a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

Also I see some of the ice fishing media types with these really elaborate racks & brackets and basket things. Is this all custom built stuff or is it commonly available after market items the general public can get a hold of.

And lastly new vs. used. I'm hoping to find a decent deal over the summer and curious if opinions are that hold over models might be the best value instead of a used sled.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

IceAge; This is a good time of the year to find a good deal on a sled. What price range are you looking at? I would suggest at least a 136" track with reverse and electric start. There are used sleds out there with less than 1000 miles, if they have been treated right, should be less than half price of new. Good luck.

If I had the cash to buy an ice fishing specific snowmobile. I would get an Arctic Cat Bearcat in a heartbeat. Some of the Bearcats features that I really like are the 4 stroke engine, reverse, long & wide track, 2 up seat, luggage rack, and cat has the interchangeable rack system. And Cat just dropped the new T660 Turbo 4 Stroke motor into the Bearcat for next season!

Alot of these same features are available on other manufacturer's snowmobiles also so your not just limited to Cat.

I think in general, a 2 up seat is important as well as a longer track with a luggage rack. The rack makes a great spot to strap an auger down. The 2 up seat is great in case your fishing partner doesn't have a sled.

THERE IS A SNOWMOBILE AUCTION ON SUNDAY MARCH 20 IN ZIMMERMAN,MN. STARTS AT NOON, but I would get there by 930 to really go through the sleds before hand. I have bought 3 sleds from there in the past 4 years. some really good buys.

to get there, go north on Hwy 169 out of Elk River to stoplight in Zimmerman, turn right- going east- go almost 3 miles, they should have signs pointing the way. good luck if you go.

Get a little longer track for sure, it's no fun digging through piles of slush or deep powder if you go off a trail. Make sure to get a 1 and 1/4 minimum track depth or deeper. Studs will help on ice, take a look at any used sled for pulled through spots. Some of the newer sleds because they sit you up higher tend to be a little tippy. Almost any brand will work, ask your friends/co-workers if there is a nearby dealer who will do decent work at a reasonable expense/timely manner (if required)-or if you need spare parts. If the dealer lets you, they may have a spot to actually test ride one (or more). Bring a knowledgeable friend with if you can. Not as much to pick from this time of year, but there are some bargains if you look around.

A couple years ago, up on Saganaga, my friend and I marveled at all the old time sleds people bombed around on... not fast or pretty, they stayed on top of the snow where the new hotrods would tend to dig down.

I was in your situation a few years back. I'm not a snowmobiler - I'm an ice fisherman who puts 300 miles a year on a sled and pulls hard-sided fish houses arond L.O.W. I don't know your financial shape, but I didn't want to put a lot of money in a sled that gets used so little. I second the suggestion to get one with a longer track. My older Polaris Sport GT (2-up)has a 141 inch track. I also love the carrier on the back so my expensive gear doesn't have to bounce around in the back of my otter sled. I personally wouldn't want more than 1" treads on the track since pulling a fish house with 1 1/2" studs puts a real strain on the track if you're digging into ice. I read and am told that the four strokes tend to overheat at low RPMs, but I can't say that for sure. I do know that I rarely go more than 25mph off-trail on LOW. My generic suggestion...buy an older sled (cheap) with the long track and carrier, use it as long as it lasts and then customize it to the suggestions as repairs are needed. I drive an old sled with a new moter and new (1")studded track and have about $2,000 in it and it should last me for years with a bit of preventive maintenance. I watch the sled adds fairly closely and think that finding a sled with all the good suggestions listed will be a very rare event. Buy cheap and make it suit your own needs.