• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1997 arctic cat ext 580 efi dlx clutch slipping?

mudslinger64

i have been having a problem with my sled.when i get on it and reach about 50 to 60 mph it seems like it slips out of gear or something but it doesn't grind it just revs up but then i tap the brakes and it is fine until my speed picks up again and it happens again,when i run slower speeds it seems just fine i looked at the secondary spring and it looks ok it's not broken as far as i can tell the only thing i notice is when i got the hood up and it is idleing the primary clutch seems to have a rattle to it but i don't know if that is normal,the belt looks good and sits up above the secondary sheeves about 1/8th of an inch any suggestions?

Yeas it is normal for you clutch to rattle, especially if there's some time on them. Now it gets to 50-60 and like poof the motor just zings and and you can't do nothin? To me it sounds like a gear problem in the chaincase. If it's a Deluxe like you say, it's go reverse, and if it out of adjustment they can reak havoc on the gears, The lover gear has spring loaded dogs that keep it in gear. You may want to dig into the chaincase and look at the gears. You have remove the lower bolt on the gears to see the spring loaded part of it. I have seen that lower bolt come loose many times. Its a pain in the rear to pull the battery box out but sound like drive problems to me.

i had the same problem with a 95 that i recently sold, how ever it was not the gears, some rivots and motor mounts broke where the drive shaft comes through to meet the clutch. Once above 40 the torgue on the clutch would move it foward and caused the belt to loose tension and it would slip. the sled would not go above 50, this might not be the problem but its worth checking out