• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mileage

viking605

I have a 2004.5 polaris sportsman 400 that I bought last january I thought I would basically use it for ice fishing before you know it I put on over 3000 miles in one year I love this thing and try to ride it every day do you guys put on that kind of mileage

I put on 2500 miles in 04' on my kodiak 450, and about 1/2 amount on the old 185s 3 wheeler. The miles add up quick when you use them all the time... cheap recreation.

I put 24,000 miles on my truck from November to now, and about 45,000 on the jeep last year... wonder how many miles the boat got?

All this driving is cutting into the fishing time!

Oh yeah! I've been riding since 1975 when I bought my first Honda ATC90. Rode the wheels off that thing. Had 11 more ATVs since then. I usually ride around 2500 miles a year now. We never had speedometers back then but I rode more frequently. I figure since then I have well over 70,000 miles or so riding. That number easily doubles if you tack on the miles I put on my sled each year.

Maybe thats why I don't get much fishing done!

thats some riding. I thought I was putting on tons of miles on my 02 grizz. I have 1700 on it, 1000 was put on in its first year. question, when do you all change the oil? I had my first oil change on its 200 mile check up, which was actually at 300 miles, I have 1400 miles on since then, is it due for another? and whats best, change it myself, or take it to the dealer.

I change my oil eveytime it starts to look dirty on the dipstick, being that I ride it so easy (ya right). It's cheap insurance against unnecessary and very costly repair. Also keep that air filter clean, that can also add up to trouble if neglected

Holy Cow! Bought a 2004 Arctic Cat 400 in Dec 04 for ice fishing. My kid an I were riding it yesterday and the speedometer turned over to a whopping 216. I better start riding it more. Don't use it much, but would be hard to be without it. I Change oil in spring and fall, weather it needs it or not.

knoppers... theres an old saying that I heard once long ago that stuck..

Oil is Cheaper Than Iron.

I change the oil frequently. It doesnt always depend on miles driven. If I'm riding wet trails I can change the oil as often as 200 miles or less(deep water). Otherwise, when the oil starts to look dirty it gets changed which probably translates to 500-1000 miles, depending on driving habits. Under normal situations, your oil wont lose its viscosity in this amount of driving, but it doesnt take long if there is any type of moisture in the oil.

I change my oil an average of 3 times a year. It kind of depends on the kind of riding I do. I go on a big trip every spring and every fall, so I always do it then. The summer oil change is based on how much I work it at the cabin and how many summer day trips I get in.

Knoppers, I see you list Palisade as one of your locations. Are you up there often or do you live there? I have a place on Minnewawa!

Macgyver55

I have a cabin on fleming lake, which I am at almost every weekend. call it my weekend home, friday thru sunday. I do a lot of riding around your area. I also fish minnewawa on the openers, I have the green skeeter.