• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Hooks

Redwalleye

Hey quick question about rod and reel for carp what size hooks are common for dough baits? I've shot literally hundereds with my bow but I think landing some with a rod would be fun. What would be more fun than landing twenty fish a day with many upwards of ten pounds. However I've seen what they can do to an arrow when you tear into a big one. I wonder if a large hook would be sturdier, but can they get it in there mouth?

thanks and good luck

RED

Ethics aside - I've had good results with a medium size - #4, #2 circle octopus or circle kahle. I had a 14lber straighten a 1/0 circle kahle once, but I still landed it.

Nobody will give you much grief here for bowfishing carp - as long as you have a plan for what to do with them.

My only beef is with the guys who can't tell a sucker from a carp in their sights and waste the suckers, 'cause suckers are indigenous and serve a vital role in the aquatic ecosystem.

Aquaman

Thanks for the info on hook sizes, As for Kowalleyeski he's a buddy of mine giving me some grief. I do agree with you on the matter of identifing the species taken and have never taken anything other than carp. The lake behind my house is filled with many behemoths and I could see'em straightening hooks.

thanks for the tip and good luck

Red

Gamakatsu makes a 4x Octupus/circle hooks that should hold up to those brutes. With circle hooks go with a rod that is softer, loads up very well, so the hook can rotate and do it's job. I used a WalMart special Shakespeare spinning combo. The rod is a 7'MH slowtip and the reel is spooled with 8/30 PowerPro. The rod is great, but the reel could be better, it's hard to beat for $40.

Hope this helps and good luck

Not super clear on your question (not sure what possible connection there could be between arrow size and hook size). But it doesn't take large, sturdy hooks to land big carp. And although dough baits will take carp, there are much better options. Sweet corn, garbonzo beans (chick peas), boilies, angleworms, etc. all turn lots more carp than dough (usually). If dough works for you, though, go for it. I'd press a marble sized chunk over a #4 to #8 treble hook-- some companies make trebles adorned with a coiled spring wrapped around the shank, which holds doughbaits on the hook quite well.

While using most other baits, you can usually get away with a #10 to a #4 octopus style hook-- something like an Eagle Claw 7226 or a Mustad 92553. And then eventually, you'll want to learn to tie a hair rig, which absolutely increases your hooking percentage by a nice margin.

-a friend called Toad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a treble hook, when not attached to an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and is illegal to use in MN. Page 17 of the 2005 regs, under "Angling Methods." Just don't want someone to get ticketed.

You know what, Roughfisher, you're absolutely right. Since I rarely fish paste type baits, I didn't even make the connection. Never do in Minnesota, so it didn't even cross my mind. I have, however, used trebles for cats in other states, particularly with a dipworm. Different deal, though. Thanks for pointing out my goof.

-a friend called Toad

I used a treble last year. But I stuck a tiny spinner blade above it to keep it legal. Then I covered the blade and hook with the dough bait. Worked great!

As far as what size hooks. To me it doesn't really matter what size the hook is. I've caught them on small #8 hooks without the hook bending. I've also caught them on #4 hooks and have had them bend. The amount of tension on the line and hook is the determining factor.