• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reccomendations on underground fencing?

fishing4fun

I live out on an acreage with about 8-10 acres of trees and I love to let my dog run when I get home from work. Other wise he's in his kennel all day and in the garage all night. He normally runs for half hour or so and then lays on the deck, but lately he has been going somewhere and not returning for a couple of hours. Last night he came home covered in ash. I assumed he got into the neighbors burn pile.

I think I want to put in an underground fence. I don't know what is the best kind. I also like the way the wireless fence works. It just doesn't cover that much ground. I'd like to let him have a large area to go. What are the best and economical fences out there. What are your opinions.

Thanks

Numerous neighbors with Invisible Fence. I didn't want to pay that much and puchased one of the Innotek setups. Installed myself with no major issues. (if you have a lawn edger or rent one for a couple of hours it is much easier to install than with a shovel)

Your dog especially in the winter will be able to get out---when the snow piles up (if ever) especially next to the driveway it allows them to cross without hitting the warning or shock boundary.

In fact mine is not in use right now due to some backyard landscaping but I even had to replace the line once as a well-meaning neighbor aerated my lawn (aka aerated my fence!) with my wifes permission. Both Fleet Farm and Menards used to sell this brand and have extra rolls of wire and such. Innotek also replaced a faulty collar transmitter once so the service was very good.

Not saying it kept my GSP in all of the time as she would jump through it at times if she really wanted out, but it curtailed her visiting the neighbors and the road 99% of the time. I was very pleased with the overall performance of the setup.

I'm also on 10 acres and use an invisible fence. After some trial and error I ran it above ground electric fence style. Works good and you don't have to worry about finding breaks underground if they happen. It has been out of commision this winter though, I assume an underground break, there are some sections that run underground still, driveway, pasture gates, etc.

I have the invisable fence and it works wonders. All that I had to do is train the dog the whole preimeter and she doesn't even need the collar anymore. She just knows where she can and can't go. The only time I use the collar is when there is other family dogs around. It is a little spendy but worth it.

I have Pet Safe brand, and so far I have had Zero problems with it and trust it very much. The batteries I put in the collar are small, cheap and can be found anywhere. The batteries also last a long time. I have had no problems with him getting out in the winter either.

"hooks"

We have the Invisible Fence for our dogs. More expensive but you get what you pay for. After they installed it, their trainer came out and worked with our dogs, to make sure they were trained correctly. We have never had one cross, and they were tempted by deer, squirrels,neighbor kids and dogs. When a city crew broke our wire, they were there the same day to get it up again. Good people.

I would recommend the Petsafe model as well. I have owned a couple over the last 10 years that have worked flawlessly. I bought both at Fleet Farm. On my last installation I threw out the light guage wire the kit came standard with and bought some heavy-duty wire instead. It just seemed less likely to break although the only problem I ever had with my first fence was when I took the edger down both sides of the driveway without thinking about the wire.

I have mine set up in the back yard only. I used sod staples and placed them every 5 ft or so. works great, lawnmower goes right over it with no problem, easy to fix breaks too. just a suggestion if you have a couple acres.

For my Pet Safe fence. I too used a heavier gauge wire to run around the property and I made some staples from coat hangers and just layed the wire on top of the ground in the woods and only buried it in the front yard.

"hooks"