• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR seeking ATV trail building partners

Rick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

DNR seeking ATV trail building partners (02-15-2005)

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is actively seeking help in siting a new 70-mile all-terrain vehicle/off highway motorcycle (ATV/OHM) trail somewhere in the state.

The DNR is responding to a 2003 Legislative directive to "plan, design, map and construct" a new trail, specifically designed for ATV/OHM use, on a mix of state and county lands.

Interested counties, acting singly or in combination, are encouraged by DNR officials to respond to request for proposals, which appeared in the state register on Feb. 14.

"Counties have long played an important role in providing for off-highway vehicle recreation," said Tim Browning, a spokesperson with the DNR Division of Trails and Waterways.

"All reasonable proposals will be considered as the DNR moves forward with this project."

The trail is to be of a continuous loop design and feature links to other off-road trails, rest areas and at least two trailheads, complete with parking and vehicle off-loading facilities. The trail must be completed and ready to ride by 2007.

Browning believes this trail project provides an excellent opportunity for public land managers to work together to provide "a unique recreation opportunity for Minnesota's fast-growing population of off-road riders."

For more information or for a copy of the request for proposals, contact Tim Browning at (218) 833-8713 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Copies of the solicitation are also posted on the DNR Web site at www.dnr.state.mn.us.

It would be great if Stearns county stepped up and went after this. It seems like there are riding area's all over the state except around here. I know that it would be tough because we do not have that much county property, but it sure would be nice to have something like this locally.

I'm a little dsigusted with this plan as it focuses on the northern part of the state. Sure there isn't much for state or county land down here in the south, but we are seeing a significant negligence on the DNR's part when it comes to focusing some attention in our areas. Sure the areas are small, but any riding area established is better than nothing. I receive these updates/announcements from the DNR and plan on e-mailing them on this issue.

I really find this troubling when we have an area in the Faribault area with huge potential (I consider it the Gilbert of The South). They could certainly focus more on getting this established as an ORV/OHV area if they want to spend some of the GIA funds.

Lep7MM, plaese don't think I am being smart or anything but do you belong to a club or atvam? If not join both if there is a club you can get to. Also not only write the DNR but also write your rep. in St. Pual. To meny atvers speak out on different forums but never write a letter to their rep, the dnr or attend meetings concerning trails.

tripper,

I started a club in South Central MN and have been working on the area known as Bauer's Pit to open it as a GIA. We hit a few snags along the way, but hope to get it open by next year. It would be nice if the DNR would view the need in Southern MN for more trails and purchase land such as Bauer's. But we see more emphasis on Northern MN with the state forests and very little in comparison "down here".