• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DOG PAD

EYEYIEYE

It's been my experience it takes quite a while for a major pad injury to heel... One thing to keep an eye out for is infection and / or a fever... Had one that had an injured foot and developed a bad fever which in turn damaged his hearing.... frown.gif The injury itself didn't look infected but I knew he was sick... Just keep an eye on it... there are some pad toughener products out there that will help witht he healing process, talk to your vet to see which he recommends.

Good Luck!

Ken

My dog had a pad injury this last pheasant season. She was out 3 weeks. The wound was healing slowly and the I bought EMT gel. I heard about this stuff from more than one place and then decided to check it out. The season was running out and I was desperate...I got mine at Gander Mountain. The stuff was expensive but worth it. For a week and a half that cut made no progress and then I put that stuff on it and I saw progress in one night. I tried to keep her foot wrapped up always but she liked to chew it off. It was pretty annoying. I did bring her in and start a round of antibiotics. Before I knew it we were back out again. Every night before bed I cleaned the wound with soapy water and then some peroxide. I then put the EMT Gel on the wound and wrapped it fresh every night. By noon the next day she had the wrapping torn off. I let her keep it off for the rest of the day in the house giving the wound some air to help the healing. This process worked best for me.

Anoter vote for EMT gel here. We dealt with a pad injury on and off for 2 months this fall. Finally bought a new tube of EMT Gel and it healed up in a couple weeks. Had the dog wearing a boot when I was not around to help stop licking.

One note, I had an older tube of EMT Gel that I left in my truck. Tried that one first but had little success. I noticed that the new tube was much stiffer and stickier than the old one. I suspect the old tube had gotten frozen, it was very runny. Then when I read the instructions I noticed it said protect from freezing. Something about that reading the instructions the first time....