• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How old is too old?

lawdog

Myself on average I try to end their career at around 7... but I've had one female have a litter at 8 and she did fine. I leased back a female once at 9 years old (she was a pup from my first ever litter) so I can keep some of my original stuff going, she was in great shape, 2 vets gave her the go ahead to do a breeding, tried on two consecutive heat cycles, 1st one didn't take, second one, we had one dead puppy. As they get older they are harder to get pregnant because they have less viable eggs, and it is harder on the female. Go with what the vet says... if he says she's good to go, you can always try it, just remember there will always be an increased risk the older they are. I knew I was pushing the envelope at 9, so that would be past where I'd normally try. Like I stated b-4, 7 is usually a good cut off.

Good Luck!

Ken

Don't go to the labrador retiever forums and ask this question, I just wanted to know if the dog was normal to not have a heat cycle till she was over a year old.

They cut me to pieces about how we should all get the dogs fixed so they don't have pups.

Everyone that said that was a dog breeder them selves, go figure that one.

Benny

Benny, what site were you on? I am on three dog forums and everytime this question comes up its like "here we go". 15 breeders jumping on a poor guy that wants his dog to have a litter of pups. I agree on the health clearences, but come on. If only professional breeders had litters, they could charge $2500 a pup. Sorry had to vent a little.

Well I can post the link but put a - between lab and retreiver then use net at the end.

I also asked about how long a heat cycle lasted as I real had no clue.Boy that really set them off.

Benny