• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Want to slow machine down

old guy

I think your problem is your never burning the snot out from the cold starts. The putt putt riding is made it worse because your engine is still loaded up and not getting a good burn.

You have to let the engine warm before riding then Get On the throttle like you did in the old days. Find an area that you feel comfortable an Git-R-Done. If thats not possible get a jack stand and burn that crap out. Kinda like when you put that old Ski Doo on her side and spun the track. You can do the gearing but that'll really give you a hole shot and I'm not sure you want that.

Heh heh, this is an interesting thread. Here I am with my '75 Lynx 250cc twin cylinder pulling my loaded portable at 3/4 throttle at about 20 MPH in snow, not on ice... That ol' air cooled Cat makes nice warmth for me behind the engine in those conditions. I also let it warm up before heading out and as I collapse the fish house before I go back - about 5-10 minutes. (I've had this Lynx for 18 years now, and shows signs of wanting to attain Restored Vintage Sled fame.)

Maybe get something more suited for fishhouse bus duty? That trail sled is tuned to run 50 MPH all day long - the market segment demanded it. Something in the workhorse category, like a Bearcat with the 4-stroke, or a Skandic or Tundra, would be better suited to LOW fishhouse duty, in my humble opinion.

I've been gone for a few days - thanks for the new replies-

The clutch engages at about 4200 rpm -

The Polaris shop suggested, in a nice way, that the problem is I am driving like the old fart I am - but, as I said before, I usually have someone on the back and going is rough for the most part - chunks of ice hidden beneath the snow, etc - so going faster is not much of an option for me-

The Polaris people said pretty much what some of you have mentioned, that is, I am not getting the engine hot enough to keep the plugs clean - so, my thought was if I could do something that would get the engine running at higher rpms and yet not increase the speed, that would help - it sounds as if either rejetting the carb or changing the gear ratio would help - I had thought about the gear ratio some because that was pretty common with the old sleds - but, given that todays machines are much more complicated and engineered as a whole unit, I was concerned that changing something, such as the gears, might result in some other problems - I could get a different sled and maybe thats the best approach, but I thought I would see if there are some other options before I did that -

Again, thanks for your suggestions - I really appreciate your help, OG