• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dirt Bikes

loosegoose

That's right up my ally. Frist off has he ever rode a bike before? How big is he and you? You don't want to get a bike that he can't handle cause he'll crash and never ride again. I got my son a yamaha ttr-125L it's a 4-stroke. I can ride it and I weigh close to 200 pounds. Not for the streets. Get a new one not used IMO. Helmet is a must for you and him. Tha yamaha that I have is a great starter bike, and they are good low cost bikes.

Well any (stock) street legal dirt bike you buy will probably be too big for your son. They all seem too be pretty tall.We do sell street legal kits to convert a bike to street legality here at dennis kirk. But again the smallest one we sell them for is a kdx 200 and that might be pushing it if he is a first timer.We do sell lighting coils for Kawasaki KX 100'S and 125's , Honda CR 125's, Suzuki RM 125's and Yamaha PW 80'S and YZ 125. This would probably your best bet is to buy one of these machines, a lighting coil and we also sell universal mount headlight assemblies starting at 52.99 and universal rear fenders with taillights for around 30.00. So that might be your best bet.Depending on the bike most lighting coils run about 87.95 and up. Just give you something to think about,

He has ridden a friend's 80 or 90cc bike so he has a little knowledge. He has driven 4 wheeler a lot as well. He is about 70lbs and I'm around 180. I was thinking of something in the 125cc range as well, although it may not be street legal as I would like it to be. I see light kits may be purshased through Dennis Kirk

Scumfrog,

We dont list any lighting coils as of yet for the ttr's.

But they are fairly new bikes so we might get them for that bike soon. I would maybe contact moose and ask them because thats who's coils we carry.

$1600.00 b/o. It's a kick start, 4-stroke. (no mixing gas.) It was layed down once softly. So the front finder is scratched and one hand grip is roughed up a little. Other then that theres nothing wrong with it. But like I said I'll have to ok it with the wife and kids frist.

When are you planing on getting one?

Yeah, a ttr-125 would be the way to go. They are very user friendly and from what you want to do with it it is definitely the most practical solution. It's kind of hard to find a bike for both of you since you are two different sizes but a ttr should do the trick. Don't forget the helmets, I have cracked 3 and would not even pit ride without one. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the world of dirt bikes.

I agree with the previous poster, stick with a name brand (ie Honda, Yamaha). A dirt bike isn't much fun when it doesn't run or worse yet it breaks down on a trail in the middle of no-where. The 100-125cc is a nice sized bike for a child or an adult. We have a 2001 Honda xr100 for our son. We go riding on the trails up north and many times my son and I switch (I have a 4 wheeler) and I ride his 100. Fits me fine and is fun to ride. He has now out grown it and wants to get something larger so we are looking at selling it.

Making a bike street legal is more than just adding a headlight to them. Any of the previous bikes are going to be tough to make street legal. If the kid is a big enough and smart or mature enough(believe me, this is important) then the TTR 125 would be a good beginner bike. My 6 year old started on a 50 and now rides a TTR 90. It is a great bullet proof bike, but may be a little small for bigger kids. The 50 and 90 can both haul me around at about 200lbs. Don't get a race bike like a CR or YZ to learn on. They have too much power and too much maintenance.

Stay with a bike manufacturer (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or KTM). Like everyone else said, try and get parts for those cheap Chinese knock offs that Checker and Pep Boys is selliing. The best starter bikes are TTR 90 or 125. XR/CRF 70/80/100, KLX/DRZ 110 (sames bikes, different color). All are good reliable 4 stroke bikes. Anything bigger and you need some experience.