• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Battery Power

Question

Went to use my Trolling Motor (factory installed bow mount 2000 Minnkota PowerDrive 50lb thrust) and it wasn't getting any juice, NONE. Checked the fuse labled 12vt(main fuse panel) and it was fine. Checked the connection at the battery, wing nuts were tight. I used it last week and everything was fine. Now it doesn't work. My buddy said some boats are equiped with a seperate fuse for trolling motors? Any truth to this? Where would I find it? Also, How would I tell if my Trolling Motor is the culprit or if the problem lies somewhere between where my trolling motor plugs in and the battery?

Thanks

Muskieguy...

9 answers to this question

CD,

What is this inline fuse? Will it be something I see when I go home and follow the cables off the battery? I only checked the fuse that is labeled 12vt under the drivers console. It sounds like I might have these inline ones too, hopefully I can find them. The footpad connector shouldn't matter in this case, as I used to be able to push the battery level gauge directly on the Trolling Motor unit with or without the footpad connected. I will go home and try to find these inline fuses, I guess if the fuses are ok, then maybe the 3 prong plugin might be bad.

Thanks for the info,

Muskieguy

Muskieguy - I have the same trolling motor.
You should have an extra cable (looks like 2 cables in 1), about 6 inches in length that attaches to your Positive terminal on your trolling motor battery. You will find 2 fuses there. (2 seperate fuses)

I have had the same problems and the whole problem was actually in the trolling motor adapter and receptacle. The wiring was not tight and it shorted casuing some plastic to burn becuase some of the wires were exposed. Plus, one of my fuses shattered...Don't ask me how that happened...I cannot believe the dealer wired it liked that. So, I spent $30 (bought a new MArinco adapter and receptacle), and installed it the "right way." Actually impressed myslef because this was the first thing I have ever fixed on my boat or home..LOL.

Check that out and let me know if that is it?

I don't know what boat you have, but my on-board 12V fuse box only includes real small accessories (depth finder, well pumps, etc.) The trolling motor requires a heavy duty fuse. There should be a in-line fuse holder (roundish) on the wires near where the wires connect to the battery. You should see easily if they exist. Just pull them apart and there should be a fuse inside, possibly even a spare fuse inside (as mine does, Alumacraft T-Pro).

I blow fuses at the strangest times for no apparent reason.

P.S. My battery power indicator on the motor hasn't worked for a couple years. Those break too for some reason or another, so don't always rely on that.

Good luck!

CD and Muskienut,

Thanks for the info, I know exactly where those fuses are...I always wondered what that tube like plastic piece on the positive wire was...Now I know...I will give that a shot tonight...

Thanks again.

Muskieguy......

Went to use my Trolling Motor (factory installed bow mount 2000 Minnkota PowerDrive 50lb thrust) and it wasn't getting any juice, NONE. Checked the fuse labled 12vt(main fuse panel) and it was fine. Checked the connection at the battery, wing nuts were tight. I used it last week and everything was fine. Now it doesn't work. My buddy said some boats are equiped with a seperate fuse for trolling motors? Any truth to this? Where would I find it? Also, How would I tell if my Trolling Motor is the culprit or if the problem lies somewhere between where my trolling motor plugs in and the battery?

Thanks

Muskieguy...

If you check all those items out and nothing, and if your boat is a newer lund. Check the wires directly behind the plug in your front panel. My buddies trolling motor stopped on him and the wire had come out from the plug in the panel. He unplugs for charging, and the plugging in and pulling out worked the wire out.

Thanks all for the advice, I am pretty sure it is the inline fuse. I took it out, and although the fuse wasn't broken in the middle, one end showed signs of being blown out. A brown residue was thick on one end, looking like it burnt out on the end. I am stopping on the way home from work today and getting a new fuse..I will post tomorrow with either a 'it is fixed' or a 'what else could it be' question.

Thanks all..

Muskieguy