• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winch achor

ice_shack

I was up on Ball Club lake this weekend making my way across unplowed snow and found myself in the middle of a huge drift that was just to deep for my Pol 500. While digging my self out and looking at the red pull strap of my winch I was comming up with varios ideas on how I could make an anchor for the ice that I could hook to and pull myself out. Thinking maybe drill a hole in the ice and drop this thing in for an anchor point.

Anybody have somthing they use? It needs to be relatively light weight and easy to store but strong enough to handle up to 2500lb.

Ice Shack,

I use the same thing I made to anchor down my portable when the prairie wind blows. (all the time) I don't have a picture, so please bear with me.

I took a chunk of re-bar about 11 inches long and welded a big nut to it somewhat left of center. I looped a chunk of fairly hefty nylon rope through the nut and have about a 2' loop. Drop it down a hole. With the nut left of center it goes down pretty easily. When it gets to the bottom of the ice, pull up on it and it will "grab" the bottom of the ice. As long as there is tension on the loop it will stay there. Then, you can hook up your winch to the loop of rope and pull yourself out. Once out, take the tension off the rope and the rebar will drop down, kind of straighten out, and you can pull it up. Voila, one drilled hole, 2 minutes worth of hooking up, and no shoveling. Once the hole is drilled the rest can most likely be accomplished without even setting your beer down.

I use 3 of these thingys to anchor down my portable. I've also used one to winch out my wheeler.

Good luck.

That is a good idea. You can also googles search for winch anchors and see what comes up. An anchor such as a "PullPal" might give you some ideas on how to build your own, too. If a guy has a welder, there's a lot of things you could do.

Boilerguy,

What happens if I put the nut to the right of center - will this make a big difference - alter the results???

laugh.gif hehehe laugh.gif

Just kidding - this is a super idea, which I plan on trying. Thanks, Boilerguy!! grin.gif

I've done that before, simply drilling a hole in the ice, and tying a bar onto the end of the winch cable and pushing it through the ice. Only bad part is getting it out, you have to reach your arm down the hole and undo it!! very very effective.

I had to do this once. Got stuck in a drift. I was just sitting there for 20 min thinking of what to do because I was extremely barried. So finally I grabbed my auger drillied to holes about 10"apart stuck my winch cable down one hole and sruck my hand down the other and grabbed the hook. Put the hook on the cable and away I went. Good thing there was only 8 inches of ice

I was thinking along the lines of 1-inch round aluminum stock with the ends ground to a point. Drill a hole off center and loop some winch cable through. You could place the rod through a drilled hole below the ice or just drill a hole into the ice, maybe one-foot, and it would lock into place at an agle when it's pulled on.